all grain wort yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruf-d

Reaction score
can i make a yeast started from wort straight out the mash tun? should i make a starter from the cooled wort after the boil? what are my options for testing yeast in all grain brewing?

Just what I do...not necessarily what is best.
just before the first hop addition...I steel a jar of boiling wort, cap it, and it seals itself as it cools.

I do keep it in the fridge...but I don't know if that is a must or not.

You can certainly make your own starter wort. A couple of things to remember- coming out of the MLT, it is still likely contaminated with lactic acid bacteria, among others. So, you definitely have to boil it before saving it. Now, if you pressure can your wort, you can skip the boiling at this stage and just can it as long as you do it right away. If you wait, you'll end up with a lacto infection and some sour starter wort. Even though boiling will kill the active bacteria, the sourness will remain.

What I would do is to just make a 5.5 gallon batch of beer, and save some of the finished wort for starters and stick that in the fridge or freezer. I find it's just easier to buy DME and make starters with that.

Latest posts

Back