All Grain without a tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerWars

Reaction score
My first all-grain. Can I do an all grain without using a tun? I have a feeling that I am over thinking this.

I was thinking of making a 3 gallon batch using all grain, 5 gallon stew pot and grain bag and using a method similar to DeathBrewer's "Easy Partial Mash Brewing" tutorial. Utilizing the proper volume of water to give the 3 gallons post-boil; with the obvious exception of the addition of extract.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

I am going to brew the SWMBO Slayer:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/swmbo-slayer-belgian-blonde-26599/

By my calculations I need 3.71 Gallons for the boil. Hold the grains at 155 degrees for an hour. Remove the grain bag. Sparge. Boil till I hit the OG. Sound reasonable? Is there any reason that I can't use a grain bag and a 5 gallon stew pot to make my first all grain batch?

Thanks in advance!

ALL you need for doing all grain is the ability to track temperature to within 1F-2F, a way to separate the grain from the wort, and the means to boil the entire volume of wort. That's it. Everything else is just optimization and/or personal preference. Sounds like you have your bases covered. The DeathBrewer sticky linked above me is an excellent resource to look at, but even that isn't an end-all be-all. There are many ways to skin this cat.

ALL you need for doing all grain is the ability to track temperature to within 1F-2F, a way to separate the grain from the wort, and the means to boil the entire volume of wort. That's it. Everything else is just optimization and/or personal preference. Sounds like you have your bases covered. The DeathBrewer sticky linked above me is an excellent resource to look at, but even that isn't an end-all be-all. There are many ways to skin this cat.

Thanks for the reassurance! This site is a wealth of information.

I keep reminding myself that people have been brewing beer since the dawn of civilization.

I recently had a lot of success using my bottling bucket and a big mesh bag as a makeshift mash and lauter tun. That was a partial mash, but the principle oughtta hold, right?

I just read through your link. I dont have a bottling bucket. But I am more-or-less going to copy your method but use a massive funnel instead of the bottling bucket. I think I am going to document my "minimalist" brew for others that want to get into All-Grain Brewing.

Back