All Grain vs Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chad610

Reaction score
what's the difference between all-grain brewing and partial mash brewing?

also, i found this recipe, it looks fairly simple but i'm wondering what kind of brewing process this is, if it's a all-grain brew, i think i might be able to handle it.

thanks for the info!

i didn't put the ingredient list on here, just the directions.

Directions:

Make any water adjustments first. It is best to boil as much (up to 5 gallons) as your brew-pot will hold. Be careful not to overfill or cover your brew-pot when boiling, this will cause a boil over.

The use of a grain bag is highly recommended. Place grains in grain bag, and put into 160 degree water. Cover, turn fire off, let steep for 30 min. Remove grain bag and bring water to a boil. Turn off the heat (to prevent scorching), and mix in the malt extracts and any other adjuncts. When fully dissolved, turn the heat back on and return the wort to a rolling boil. Add the bittering hops, continue to boil for 50 min. Add the flavoring hops, continue to boil for 5 min. Add the finishing hops and continue to boil for 5 more min. The use of hop socks make the addition and removal of hops much easier.

After you have boiled your wort for a full 60 min, remove all hops and add water to reach 5 gallons. Cool to 75 degrees and add yeast nutrient and yeast. Shake your fermenter vigorously for 5 min. to aerate the wort. Remember, your yeast needs oxygen to live and grow. Attach the blow-off hose to the fermenter and place the other end into a container of water to form an air-lock. Rack into secondary fermenter after krueson has begun to subside.

so what is the difference between all grain and partial mash?

as you can see i'm a noob, becuase i have NO idea what either one of those means or how to do it! lol!

so what is the difference between all grain and partial mash?

as you can see i'm a noob, becuase i have NO idea what either one of those means or how to do it! lol!

Well, all grain is all grain. Partial mash will use some 2 row mashed with some other grains that need the enzymes from 2 (or 6) row for conversion. Usually mashed around 152-154 for an hour. The extract will make up the rest of the wort.

your directions read pretty much like your standard extract technique. It's an easy way to start if you're worried about starting out too complicated.

In general, "mashing" is the process of extracting sugar from grains by holding them in a certain temperature water for about an hour or so. "All grain" means that all the sugar in your wort comes from grain. "Partial mash" means that some of the sugar in your wort comes from grain, and some from malt extract.

You'll see, if you read around here a bit, that extract and partial mash beers can end up just as good, if not better, than all grain beers if they're made properly.

Most people generally start by making extract beers so they can get the process down, before they move on to partial mash or all grain. But you don't have to! It's all up to you and what you feel comfortable with.

all grain = full mash. no extract added.

partial mash = less than a full mash, with extract added to hit your final gravity.

the process is basically the same...mash, sparge, boil....but with all grain you have way more wort (usually) and zero malt extract being used.

Back