All Grain to Extract Recipe Conversion help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

wedge421

Reaction score
I found a beer called Fire in the Hole that I really want to make. The problem I am having is I can only find the ingredients in the form of an all grain recipe. I have the Beersmith program, is there a way to convert the all grain recipe to an extract form using that software or is there just a simple method that I am not aware of. The second answer being more likely im sure haha.:ban:

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
You are not going to be able to just steep that grain. The rye, wheat and munich need to be mashed. Just plan on doing a mini-mash and you will get there. If you sub out wheat malt for the flaked wheat, you should have enough enzymes in the 2 lbs of base malt grain to also convert the crystal and carafa.

Substitute 5 lbs of Light Dry Malt Extract for the Pale 2-Row

For the remaining 3.18 lbs of grain, mash in 1 gallon of water at 154 degrees for at least 30 minutes. You can do this in a pot on your stove using a big grain bag. After the mash, drain off the liquid and then run an additional 2 gallons of 170 water through the grain bag to sparge. Do this as slow as you can do it, using a pyrex cup to ladle the water throught the grain. Or just take the grain bag and dunk it in and soak it in the sparge water, one gallon at a time. Collect all the runnungs, add the extract and proceede with the hop schedule.