All grain to extract conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

optaka

Reaction score
I suppose this would be the correct area for this, if not I apologize.

My boss just started brewing and is wanting to clone a local brew. I told him I would look for a recipe but the only one I can find is AG, which neither of us is set up for. I was wondering what people would suggest to convert this to extract (+steeping grains is fine)

Recipe is here http://brewery.org/gambmug/recs/1081983752-14754.shtml

Also, when would the dextrin be added? End of the boil to maximize hop utilization?

Thanks guys

P.S. I intentionally didn't add the recipe here since it didn't come off these forums

I have been trying to figure the best way to convert as well. I will take a crack at it and somebody can correct me if I am wrong.
From the looks of it, the 2-row is the only thing you will convert. The rest are steeping grains. 10lbs of grains would be roughly 6-7 lbs of LME. I would use light for 2-row.
I am not sure about the dextrin.

Beersmith or other brewing software is great for this and other recipe building. As suggested above, replace the base grain with extra light or light extract and use the original gravity numbers from the ag recipe to guide you. Easy peasy and kind of fun, too.

Just steep the specialty grains and use the formula to replace the base grains.

1lb base grain = .75 LME= .6 DME.

So the 10 lbs of 2 row can be replaced by 6 lbs of DME.

Easy.

Back