All-grain: Solvent like taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheldon

Reaction score
Brewed a BPA and had it ferment in my not too hot basement. After 3 weeks primary, I (split) kegged it and gave half to my son. We both think there is something really wrong with this batch. There is a distinct solvent like/paint thinner taste. I am positive it did not ferment too high as the basement is in mid 60's. Used 1 S-33 yeast pack. Any ideas as to what went wrong? Will this nasty taste dissipate with time or should we dump the batch?

Thanks for input.

PS: I used the same recipe I used in the past for a really easy to drink BPA.

Sheldon

Basement mid 60's, inside fermenter mid 70's, i.e. too hot ferment. I had that same issue happen to a batch of hard cider. It smelled like nail polish remover (acetone). As time went on, the foul stink went away and left behind some high octane cider. At that point I thought, maybe the best way to savage this mess is freeze concentration. It wasn't very smooth, but it got the job done. ;)

There are unpleasant alcohols that reduce to more tolerable alcohols (like... alcohol) with time, under active yeast. I haven't had this issue, but if my wort tasted off before bottling, I probably wouldn't bottle it just yet. The imperfection might mature in the bottle but I'd say it's not as likely. I'd bring it up to room temp and let it sit for a week (or a month, if it took that long), then bottle. Secondary off the yeast would be an option but I think the cake is an asset when you're trying to clear up problem flavors (unless they taste like dead-ass yeast).

I kegged the brew about 10 days ago. Not bottling. Should I try to just take it off the gas and out of kegorator and let it sit for a while? Its carbed now using CO2. Not sure what to do with this mess. Don't want to keep in on gas and take up a line if its not going to improve on its own.

Thanks for all the advice. I have never had this issue before and I have brewed for a while and used this dry yeast before.

Sheldon

I would cycle it on and off the gas. Pressurize it, shake the hell out of it, leave it a day or so, bleed the gas for a day or so, and repeat. I would be very sure you get as much of the depressurized gas out before you refill. By repeatedly emptying the unpleasant flavors/aromas into the head space and then bleeding them off you will get rid of the funky stuff sooner. I do not remember how long I had the funky cider stashed away with an airlock on it, but a month at least. I will say though, when it was freeze concentrated it was reminiscent of moonshine. Uh, er, um, I, ahh, meant Everclear, not moonshine. Yes, that is it, Everclear. That crap is nasty, but the alcohol produced from nice fruit, is, nice., and when distilled is called brandy, but when made in France is Cognac. Oui, oui.

Get it into another container and wait it out! I had one once and botlled it up, put it at the back of a shelf unit in tne shed and ignored it. Tried it 10 months later when I needed the spAce and it was a lot better. It wasn't lerfect, but after a few it tasted just fine ... and it still worked!

Basement mid 60's, inside fermenter mid 70's, i.e. too hot ferment. I had that same issue happen to a batch of hard cider. It smelled like nail polish remover (acetone). As time went on, the foul stink went away and left behind some high octane cider. At that point I thought, maybe the best way to savage this mess is freeze concentration. It wasn't very smooth, but it got the job done. ;)
...wow.....I always thought a few degrees..warmer..of course that was just a guess...

Thanks for all the advice. We will try them (we have 2 kegs filled half way) and hope it mellows out.

Sheldon

Back