All-Grain Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmart84

Reaction score
I am making the move from extract and BIAB to all-grain. Im looking for plans/instructions on building my own setup (HLT & mash tun) instead of buying the kettles to save some money. Any input is appreciated!

You only need one pot for BIAB....nothing else

You need to figure out what you want not what you need.

The only thing you NEED is a pot and heat...and a bag

You don't NEED recirculating
You don't NEED a built in thermometer. You really dont NEED much of anything

If using propane there is literally nothing to build. But a pot...buy a bag from Wilser...buy a propane heater and start brewing....that simple

If you want to go electric thats a different story and REALLY nice for indoor winter brewing.

I"d save money on all that unneeded stuff and put the money toward a grain mill and kegging....both of those are way more important/better than all the bells and whistles in a build.

Actually you dont even need to build anything for indoor electric either..Many use an induction heater. Plug it in and your brewing indoors

You only need one pot for BIAB....nothing else

You need to figure out what you want not what you need.

The only thing you NEED is a pot and heat...and a bag

You don't NEED recirculating
You don't NEED a built in thermometer. You really dont NEED much of anything

If using propane there is literally nothing to build. But a pot...buy a bag from Wilser...buy a propane heater and start brewing....that simple

If you want to go electric thats a different story and REALLY nice for indoor winter brewing.

I"d save money on all that unneeded stuff and put the money toward a grain mill and kegging....both of those are way more important/better than all the bells and whistles in a build.

Actually you dont even need to build anything for indoor electric either..Many use an induction heater. Plug it in and your brewing indoors

I already do BIAB and keg my beer.. looking for a bit more

What "more" are you looking for? There's no right or wrong answer. If you have fun with your brewing you're doing it right.

I'm just genuinely curious about what you feel you are lacking. It could be that you like to tinker/build, and you want to scratch that itch in your brewing? Nothing wrong with that.

That said, the "more" you end up with may be: more expense, more cleaning, more time required to complete a brew day, more hassles troubleshooting hardware, etc.

Like LittleRiver said, it would help if you clarify your goals. You said you want to move from BIAB to all grain, but BIAB is an all grain technique. So are you really doing all grain now, or are you actually doing extract batches plus steeping some grains in a bag? If you are already doing all grain then by "more" it seems you mean you'd like to transition to a set up with more equipment? In giving you recommendations, is cost the main consideration? What equipment do you already have? Are you looking at batch sparging, or fly sparging?

Gravity fed all grain or herms?

You could get 3 vessels of your choice, and start with a gravity fed system. Later you could add the components to make a herms system if you want to continue to tinker or upgrade. I started with biab and quickly went to 3 vessel as i felt the temp control was more stable, but i aslo quickly ditched propane as it was an extra brew day expense/hassle. Just some ideas
IMG_20190216_103501_559.jpeg
20190216_140925.jpeg
20190216_140936.jpeg
20190116_103918.jpeg

Back