All grain Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian-d

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'd like to share an rye IPA recipe that I have developed and see what you think. I've brewed this several times and all my buddies really like it. I've simplified the hop additions and am using all cascade and centennial except for the 60 minute addition I use Warrior. I am going to brew this revised addition this weekend. Thanks for your feedback!

6.5 gallon batch

15.8 lbs 2 row base malt
1.4 lbs Rye malt
1.4 lbs Flaked rye
8 oz Crystal 60
8 oz Crystal 120

1.25 oz Warrior 6o min
.40 oz Cascade 45 min
.30 Centennial 30 min
.60 Cascade 10 min
.60 Centennial 10 min
.60 Cascade Flame out
.60 Centennial Flame out
1.25 oz Cascade Dry hop 7 days
1.25 oz Centennial Dry hop 7 days

2 Whirlfloc tabs 15 min
1 Servomyces 10 min
California 001 Ale starter 2.2 liter

Mash temp: 152 for 60 min
Sparge at 168
OG: 1.067
FG: 1.014
IBU: 70
SRM: 10.5
ABV: 7%

65% efficiency
Primary 21 days
Condition 4-5 weeks
Keg and force carb

That looks drinkable and delicious, but almost 16 lbs of base malt? Wow... (in a good way, wow)
I'd be almost inclined bump up the rye contributions a little...

Yea, I would go to rye malt for a rye IPA. Also, that's a really low percentage of rye- you probably won't get a ton of rye flavor. I'd go to at LEAST 10%. I prefer 15-20%.

Thanks for all the great advise. I'm brewing tomorrow, and based on the comments received I dropped the crystal 120, added another 1.75 lbs of rye malt and dropped the flaked rye. I'm anxious to see how this comes out. Thanks again!!

Back