All-Grain - RIS (2011 HBT Competition Category Winner) Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucks-04

Reaction score
So I plan on brewing this soon but beermith tells me I either need:

12 WLP002 packs
or
4 WLP002 packs with a 5.31QT yeast starter

Does this sound right or is it to much?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 7.32 gal
Estimated OG: 1.095 SG
Estimated Color: 52.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 87.2 IBU

Ingredients:
------------

17.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK Grain 81.93 %
1.50 lb Roasted Barley Grain 7.23 %
1.00 lb Special B Malt Grain 4.82 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt Grain 3.61 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine Grain 2.41 %

4.00 oz Challenger [5.80 %] (60 min) Hops 59.1 IBU
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [7.20 %] (30 min) Hops 28.2 IBU

1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge. Hold mash temp at 151 degrees for 60 minutes.

Try Mr. Malty.

If your yeast is under a month old you can get by with 1 pack in a 3.35L starter or 2 packs in a 1.35L starter on a stir plate.

Well I bought 4 vials of it, son of a b*tch. Why would beersmith recommend that?

Well I bought 4 vials of it, son of a b*tch. Why would beersmith recommend that?

Is it the new beersmith? I don't think the older one has the yeast pitching option. Did you mistakenly select lager? Use the other two to make some Bitters or something.

Is it the new beersmith? I don't think the older one has the yeast pitching option. Did you mistakenly select lager? Use the other two to make some Bitters or something.

It is the new one beersmith 2.0. It is the English ale wlp002.

Because the new version is full of bugs and not worth a ****. I would use Mr. Malty as was previously recommended.

Maybe that was a little harsh....but it is really buggy still. I bought 2.0, but I'm using 1.4 because it works.

I am also getting an OG of 1.073 and a FG of 1.028

While the creator of this, won in his style, was getting 1.106 and FG of 1.028? Don't understand why the difference. I double checked beersmith 2.0 and that is what i got.
I am new to beersmith so i could be inputting something wrong without even knowing.

Back