All Grain Recipe Design - Brown Cupcake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinginct

Reaction score
I promised a friend that I'd brew a beer that tastes the same as this one cupcake she likes to make.

There are a lot of crazy flavors in her recipe, all of which I have already figured out how to incorporate.

I'm not feeling as sure about the base of this beer. The cupcake itself is brown so my first thought was to do a brown ale on the med-full bodied side (mash 156f). I'd like to keep the color the same brown color as the cup cake so I suppose another option would be an American Amber or California Common, the latter of which could be pretty interesting for what i'm going for

I'm not sure what my friend uses as far as spices. I'm assuming its basic ****, no spices worth throwing in except maybe molasses or brown sugar.

For hops I'm thinking they should stick in the background, since there are enough flavors elsewhere. Maybe a noble hop, or something earthy from england? Maybe a single addition at 60?

Yeast, I have no clue. I don't want a high attenuator, apart from that I have no real requirements. It might be cool to use a yeast that doesn't flocculate as well, like a german wheat yeast, or something like that. Maybe California Common would work so that I can semi-lager the beer to make the base taste more cohesive

That's the backstory. What I'm looking for are general suggestions, as well as specific suggestions about:

-med/full body brown ale v american amber vs california common (without the hops, just the base

-malt/mash suggestions for whichever style you pick

-molasses/sugar - i know it rarely leaves an effect other than drying out the beer. is there any way to use the molasses for the taste

-hops - stick with noble/earthy additions, probably all before 30. good?

-Yeast - German wheat? English brown? American Ale?

I really appreciate the help here. Hopefully i get enough replies before the scheduled brew day on thursday!

One thing that comes to mind is using brown sugar as the bottling agent, I've had good luck maintaining some of it's flavor with a brown ale of my own. Maybe it can give you some ideas.

Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 21.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type
3 lbs 4.8 oz Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM)
5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop
1.00 oz Saaz [3.40 %] - Boil 2.0 min
1 lbs 11.0 oz Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM)
1.0 pkg German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029)

Bottled with 5oz brown sugar.

Back