All Grain - Panty Dropper IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mendesm

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Planning on brewing this tomorrow.

I put this recipe together to try and match SWMBO's taste for beer. She want's low bitterness, a tad on the sweeter side and a touch of fruit. Not fruity, just a hint of fruit (I'm going to drink it too, so it'll have to be just a bit in the fruit department). Very important to me is to achieve a deep copper color, which I just happen to love in my beers.

I'd love to hear your input about it, especially with regards to the fruit (puree maybe) additions to the secondary in order to achieve the desired outcome.

Hops where chosen due to their fruit characteristics and their boil times tweaked up and down until I got around the ball park for an IPA with IBUs toward the bottom range of the style. Flame out and dry hop additions are aimed at intense hop aroma and I may have gone overboard here, but the idea is to get extreme hoppy perfume to this brew. Again, girl appeal :ban:

Three yeasts because I'm going to split this in 3 separate 2 gallon batches to see what happens with each. Girl appeal here too. She's gotta like at least one of them...

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast 1: British Ale (Wyeast 1098)
Yeast 2: London Ale III (Wyeast 1318)
Yeast 3: London ESB (Wyeast 1968)
Yeast Starter: no
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Est OG: 1.059
Est FG: 1.014 est.
IBU: 50.8
Color: 14.6 SRM
Est ABV: 5.9%
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @ 72F
Mash: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge

• Mash In: 19.1 qt @ 165.6*F
  • Strike: 152*F
  • Time: 60 min
  • Batch Sparge: 1.37 gal @ 168*F
  • Batch Sparge: 4.61 gal @ 168*F
  • Time: 10 min

• 10.5 lb Pale Malt (2 row) US (2.0 SRM) 48.5%
  • 1 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) 4.6%
  • 1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt 120L (120 SRM) 4.6%
  • 2.4 oz Chocolate Malt (350 SRM) 0.7% (for color, late mash addition?)

• 1 oz Cascade (5.5%) @ 45 min
  • 1 oz Citra (12%) @ 45 min
  • 0.5 oz EKG (5%) @ 30 min

• 0.30 tsp Irish Moss @ 10 min

• 1.5 oz EKG (5%) @ 0 min
  • 1 oz Cascade (5.5%) at 0 min
  • 1 oz Citra (12%) at 0 min

Rack to secondary on top of:
  • 4 lb 8 oz Mango (I have not been able to find pure for this yet, so I'm either going to use the equivalent of mango juice extract of diced/chopped mangos)
  • 4 lb 8 oz Peach (puree)

Carboy with:
  • 1 oz Cascade (5.5%) dry hop 5 days
  • 1 oz Citra (12%) dry hop 5 days
  • 1 oz EKG (5%) dry hop 5 days

Keg/Bottle, drink :rockin:

Also, any thoughts on adding about 1/2 pound of Milk Sugar (lactose)? I not sure it would go well with and IPA.

:mug:

I get an awesome copper color in my partial mash IPA using 1 1/2 lbs crystal 30, 3/4 lb crystal 20 and 6 lbs light DME. Swap out the DME with 11 lbs 2 row and you'd get pretty much the same color.

2012-05-20_15-24-40_225.jpg

I would drop the chocolate malt as well, unless you're looking to get some nutty flavors as well as the color from that. I also love using Wyeast 1056 for IPA's as well. Gives a great clean flavor that highlights the hop additions pretty well...Just food for thought. Good luck on the brew though! :mug:

I recently tried adding a very, very, VERY small amount of roasted malt to my last IIPA to get a red color. If I remember for the hydrometer sample it was pretty copper in the end. Maybe I'll have to take another sample from the keg to see if its what you're going for.

When I say little, I mean half a pound in a 10 gallon batch, and make sure you have enough hops to mask any roasted flavor that try to make it through.

Interesting....I'd ditch the lactose tho, I don't think it'd go well with an ipa. Why the EKG instead of a different variety?

Toasted malt works great in an IPA as well. Just get some 2 row, like a half pound and set your oven to 350*F and put it in there for 10 to 15 minutes. Adds a great earthy/bready flavor.

I just made a IIPA with some Cascades and mostly Citras. It is 88 IBUs, but doesn't really taste like it! Citras deliver a very mild and fruity flavor.

I wouldn't use any chocolate or C120 (or lactose!) either. Just the base malt, some C20-C40

The choices for the chocolate malt + the 120L were based on the color indicator by BeerSmith. But I ended up going with 10# US 2 row, 4# crystal 40L, 1/2# crystal 20L and the dextrine. The color looks very nice.

As for the choice of hops, I chose them based on their flavor/aroma profiles, also from BeerSmith. But wouldn't you know it, the local brew store didn't have any citra left by the time I got there on Saturday, so I ended up using Sterling instead (based on its description on a chart posted in the store). I just reworked the schedule and quantity of the sterling into BS before starting the boil to try and achieve the same IBU as the recipe posted above.

We'll see what happens in 2 or 3 weeks.

Thanks everyone.

-Mario

Back