all grain pale ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglygoat

Reaction score
i'm gonna brew on da fathers day, is that this weekend? anyhoo my wife is working so i am gonna brew a batch of beer while my kid splashes around in the driveway.

i want to make a pale ale, plz post me a favorite ag pale ale recipe you've enjoyed and i'll send ya a bottle of it :)

I'm always leery about giving specific recipes because everyone's system is different (batch size, efficiency, etc). My suggestion is to download the trial version of Promash (www.promash.com) and develop your own recipe around the following specifications:

American Pale Ale
OG: 1.050 - 1.054 (yes, use a hydrometer)
FG: 1.010 - 1.012 (estimated, use a hydrometer)
IBU's: 46 - 50
Color: 6 - 8 SRM

Grain Bill:
90% Pale 2-row malt (select your own brand)
5% Wheat Malt (head retention and some lightness)
3% Munich Malt (some color and maltiness)
2% Crystal 10 - 15 (some color and sweetness)
Feel free to adjust the percentages slightly to give even weight amounts.

Hop Bill:
33 - 35 IBU's of Nugget or other bittering hop of your choice at 60 minutes
13 - 15 IBU's of Cascades at 20 minutes
1.5 oz of Cascades at 0 minutes, turn off the burner, throw in the hops, put the lid on and let steep for 15 - 20 minutes. The use of Cascades is the classic American hop for this style. Feel free to substitute your bittering hop variety, I don't think it makes a huge difference.

Yeast:
Wyeast 1056 or White Labs WLP001
Make at least a 2 qt starter several days ahead

Other:
Irish Moss or Whirlfloc in the boil at 20 minutes
My personal favorite is Whirfloc

Fermentation:
Ferment as close to 68 F as possible. If you are bottling, I would bottle after 2 weeks total: 1 week in the primary and 1 week in the secondary to assure sufficient yeast to carbonate (or just do the whole 2 weeks in the primary). If kegging, I would let at least 3 weeks total elapse: 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, before kegging (or, the whole three weeks in the primary). Personally, I don't use a secondary fermenter, but many here do. Follow your intuition on this one.

Notes:
I do not dry hop my beers. I wouldn't dry hop this one. See how you like it first and tweak it the next time. Dry hopping may be appropriate after you make this at least once. Your bottled beer might be a little cloudy, but after you condition it at room temp for carbonation for 2 or 3 weeks, stick the bottles in the fridge upright and they should clear up within 2 or 3 weeks. Note the evolution in flavor from the first beer to the last as the beer ages and clears.

Prosit!

thanks for the parameters mate! i am not so hip on numbers and equations and exact breakdowns, here is what i rustled up.

8 lb pale/english 2 row malt
1lb crystal 20L
1lb carapils

3 oz cascade split evenly at 60, 30, and 15

eidenburg ale yeast(this is the secret ingredient ;OP)

it will be a single temp infusion, prolly at the higher end, 156-158...

i got the air on so the basement is nice and cool as compared to the sweltering 90 and 100 percent humidity out doors... gak!!!

i will do the two week in the primary deal then bottle, i've done it before with bitters and was very satisfied with the young beer and enjoyed tasting it as it aged.

Are you wanting a British type Pale Ale or an American type Pale Ale? In either case, I would mash at a lower temperature, like 150 - 152 F. Sorry, I forgot to include the recommended mash temp in the original recipe.

I can't recommend strongly enough to get the free version of Promash to formulate your recipe. It makes things really easy and will save you some time and brain cells. I put your recipe in there at 70% efficiency and got the following:

5 Gallons
OG: 1.052
Color: 6.8 SRM
IBU's: 56

The alpha on the cascades I used was 6%. By the looks of it, the IBU's might be a little high. Were you trying for a particular style or commercial example? For American Pale Ale (like Sierra Nevada), you want your late additions at 20 and at 0 for some good flavor and aroma. Color is about right. If you want to use cascades for the whole thing, I would adjust your hop schedule as follows:

1 oz Cascades at 60 (6% alpha acid)
1.5 oz Cascades at 20 (6% alpha acid)
1.5 oz Cascades at 0 (6% alpha acid)

This will give you about 47 IBU's and some really good flavor and aroma.

I've never used eidenburg yeast, so I have no idea what this will do for flavor. I try to use a very neutral yeast for APA. The White Labs Edinburg yeast says it's for reproducing Scottish style Ales and yields complex flavors. Not sure if this is what you want, but it will be interesting.

Have fun! Prosit!

For an American Pale Ale, I wouldn't use any other yeast than Wyeast 1056 or White Labs WLP001. Very clean, smooth--classic APA flavor.

That's called the "Chico" yeast, and is harvested straight form Sierra Nevada.

i adjusted the hops schedule to the one you posted.

the owner at my homebrew shop said she had been using the eidenburg ale yeast for pales and was really pleased with the flavor, and i thought it would be neat to give it a whirl. i was pleased with the smell of the yeast from the starter, much more robust and a wee bit sulfury, similar to the kolsh yeast strain. i liked that :)

to answer your question, i wasn't aiming for any commercial recreation and i agree the ca ale yeast is excellent, i'm finishing up my last pale ale (ca yeast) hopped soley with columbus, and gah it is hoppy, but good!

this one is sorta an inbetween american and english pale ale, the fermentation is going well, and it smells pretty good, so i'll see how it's doing after a week, and rack, or i may just let it sit, i got almost no trub in the primary so i am not soo concerned this time to give it an extra week.

t1master said:
i adjusted the hops schedule to the one you posted.

the owner at my homebrew shop said she had been using the eidenburg ale yeast for pales and was really pleased with the flavor, and i thought it would be neat to give it a whirl. i was pleased with the smell of the yeast from the starter, much more robust and a wee bit sulfury, similar to the kolsh yeast strain. i liked that :)

to answer your question, i wasn't aiming for any commercial recreation and i agree the ca ale yeast is excellent, i'm finishing up my last pale ale (ca yeast) hopped soley with columbus, and gah it is hoppy, but good!

this one is sorta an inbetween american and english pale ale, the fermentation is going well, and it smells pretty good, so i'll see how it's doing after a week, and rack, or i may just let it sit, i got almost no trub in the primary so i am not soo concerned this time to give it an extra week.

I did something similar with my APA....I used a British yeast in it just for giggles. I liked the way it turned out. Not quite as neutral as the California strain, but I thought retaining a little of the Brit ale character added a little something different.

t1master said:
i'm gonna brew on da fathers day, is that this weekend? anyhoo my wife is working so i am gonna brew a batch of beer while my kid splashes around in the driveway.

i want to make a pale ale, plz post me a favorite ag pale ale recipe you've enjoyed and i'll send ya a bottle of it :)

T1, here's a SNPA clone in one of the more recent BYO'S:
9 LBS. 15 oz 2-row
1.0 lb. Crystal malt (40 lovibond)
0.18 oz Magnum hops (12% AAU) @ 60 MIN (or you can use Northern Brewer)
0.7 OZ Perel Hops (7% AAU) @ 60 MIN
1.0 oz Cascade Hops (5% AAU) @ 15 min
0.75 oz Cascade Hops @ 0 min
0.75 Cascade Hops (dry hop)
WLP001 California Ale Yeast
3/4 cup corn sugar for priming
OG 1.052
FG 1.011, 37 IBU's, SRM 10, 5.3% ABV

ferment around 68 degrees, dry hop and bottle when beer falls clear.

i plan on brewing this on saturday. but, my HBS doesnt have Magnum hops??? they said the northern brewer hops would work good in it's place.

cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Back