All grain keggle to biab keggle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

Fathochta

Hey, so I've got my all grain keggle with sight glass and heating element from a failed attempt at electrical heating. I wanted to swap the element for a thermometer. The immediate issue that came to mind was the thermometer rod catching on the bag. So, what other methods of accurate temperature monitoring are there for biab?

Hey, so I've got my all grain keggle with sight glass and heating element from a failed attempt at electrical heating. I wanted to swap the element for a thermometer. The immediate issue that came to mind was the thermometer rod catching on the bag. So, what other methods of accurate temperature monitoring are there for biab?

My advice for temperature monitoring is a digital handheld stick thermometer. Prices range from about $8 to $100. I have had pretty good luck with the lower end 10-15 dollar models FWIW.

The bag can catch on the thermo probe, but you should be able to push the bag away from the probe when removing, if you opt to install a probe.

Why the failed attempt at electric heating? If at all possible I would try and get the electric working...Electric BIAB works very well and can be very simple.

I used a long stem bimetal probe thermometer, and drilled a small hole in my lid so I could stick it through the bubble wrap insulation and lid during the mash. Then during the boil and chilling I clip it to the side of the pot, since I whirlpool with a spoon around my immersion chiller and can't keep the lid on all the time.

First post and you've already failed at electric brewing? I'd reconsider switching to brew in a bag because if you already gave up on electric brewing a brew in a bag setup won't fix that. What failed on your electric setup?

I use a thermometer at the top handheld style. Stir the grains a lot otherwise you'll get the smallest sample,for your temperature and you'll be wondering why your mash efficiency is all over the board

I found that it is a nice-to-have to have a short temp probe near the bottom, this gives you an idea of wants going on down there when you are adding some heat during the mash. The temperature will eventually equalize on the other side of the bag. A long temp probe is nice, 12" maybe, to keep inside the mash too.

If you have one very long probe, then you can check temps everywhere, both sides of the bag.

Back