All grain issue or yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanaDana

Reaction score
I am new to the AG forefront, previously I have always been a PM guy until my last 3 batches. On my first bacth, except for all of my equipment failing the beer fcame out great.

On my second beer I believe I oversparged and had a very low OG, but I turned my red into a scottish 60 (bonus!).

My third beer however I think something went wrong, I was making the ESB 1st place winner from the AHA competition posted in Zymurgy so I know the grain bill was okay, I had a high preboil OG so I boiled it down to where it was supposed to be but I just racked it to the secondary after a week and the beer is cloudy. Way more than I believe it should be for an ESB, also the beer has a "twang" on it, like the time I used sorgum extract to brew. I did use 1/2 "washed" yeast that came from the scottish and 1/2 fresh rehydrated yeast. I was good about sanitation so I'm not sure what could cause this. The beer doesn't taste bad, just not "right".

Any ideas?

Do you use Irish moss?

If its just a week in, its almost definitely a yeast thing, as in it needs time. What kind of yeast did you use?

I cant think of anything (besides using grains that are known to cause haze) in the all grain process that would cause your beer to be cloudy.

If you had a high pre-boil OG and boiled it down wouldn't it get even higher?

Racking to secondary after a week might have been a little early. Was the fermentation finished?

I would also say that this beer needs more time. Has it been bottled/kegged?
I have had some that didn't taste great before bottling and did taste great afterward.

Do you use Irish moss?

If its just a week in, its almost definitely a yeast thing, as in it needs time. What kind of yeast did you use?

I cant think of anything (besides using grains that are known to cause haze) in the all grain process that would cause your beer to be cloudy.

I did use Irish Moss (I always have) I used fresh grain I just bought from a bulk order, Marris Otter as the bulk.

If you had a high pre-boil OG and boiled it down wouldn't it get even higher?

Racking to secondary after a week might have been a little early. Was the fermentation finished?

I would also say that this beer needs more time. Has it been bottled/kegged?
I have had some that didn't taste great before bottling and did taste great afterward.

That was a typo, It was a low OG. The recipie in Zymurgy, since everyone that won placed one in, stated 5 days primary 2 days secondary. That sounded awful quick to me, but then again I hadn't made an ESB before. It went from 1.050 to 1.009, so it seems t have done a decent job so far. I have not bottles or kegged it, just moved to the secondary tonight after 6 days.

Yea. If you used Irish moss, I would say it just needs time to clear. Have you tried cold crashing?

Update on how its going:
so 3 days after I transfered to the secondary it dropped clear very quick. Not sure if it was just how it worked or the fact it started gettign colder (as I live in New England). Its been a week now and the beer is at the target FG, no sourness and great clarity!
Guess everything worked out.

Latest posts

Back