all grain in extract equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eppo

Reaction score
ok, i have ordered ingredients for an all grain batch, that needs to be done this weekend.
i have a keggle that is not complete yet. but have a 10gallon mash tun.
i have a 5 gallon pot.
would i be able to do this all grain batch without a large kettle? any ways i might be able to pull this off if i cant get my keggle done first?
thanks

I think you're gonna fall short on your boil volume. Unless you're planning to brew less than a 5-gallon brew, which is entirely possible, you're going to need more like 6 to 7 gallons pre-boil in order to hit your post-boil volume of aroun 5 gallons. If you're not too concerned about getting 5 gallons and you have the software or can do the calculations to hit your target O.G., you should be fine. Depending on what you are using for your mash tun, you may be able to use that.

get fermcap. It works great. but i still think you aren't going to get a full boil, so plan on topping off with at least a gallon, prolly more.

You'll have to do two boils of 3-4 gallons. No way around it. Boil your first runnings for about 15 minutes, cool and put it in the fermenter. Then boil the balance and do the hop adds.

Back