All grain imperial stout...No post-boil trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Durne13

Reaction score
Brewed a speedway stout clone yesterday and did not have any trub in kettle; post boil. This is the first time I have never not had post boil trub... So I am concerned. I hit the high end of the starting gravity range, at 1.090. However, pre-fermentation volume was supposed to be 5.25 gallons. I ended up with almost 6.5 gallons.

I have brewed several ipa's in the past and usually have significant trub and low pre-fermentation volumes. So I am perplexed. This is the complete opposite end of the spectrum than I am accustomed.

It was a 90 minute boil. I added three pounds of dme at end of boil and used a wort chiller to lower temperature.

Can any help explain this or comment as to the potential impact to the brew?

Thank you!

When I brewed a stout, I didn't have much trub as there was few hops and more malt. I would think there would be some though. That is pretty strange. Either way I would procedure as normal. Check to make sure the yeast are fermenting properly and make a note of how long the active fermentation is. Be prepared with a blow off tube and hope that any extra solids settle out. Maybe leave the wort in the primary a little longer just in case.

Did you use whirlfloc or like irish moss at the end of the boil? Does your immersion chiller take a while to get it cooled to pitching temps? My understanding is the faster you get the temperature chilled, the faster the trub comes out of solution.

I'd bet you'll see a fair amount at the bottom of your primary fermentation vessel. Sometimes that stuff can take a while to drop out of solution.

I had almost the same experience with my oatmeal toffee stout this weekend (first time for me, too). I do use Irish moss (and went from boil to 75 degrees F in 22 minutes), but had almost zero trub in the bottom of my kettle.

Meh. I had a nice layer a few hours later. Nothing to worry about.

Back