All grain help, 1 recipe 2 different beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucfanmike

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to stockpile a few brews before winter sets in as I brew outside in Duluth MN. Also the days are getting shorter and doing 2 all grains before it gets too dark is hard. I want to do a 10 gallon batch but use 2 different yeasts to make 2 different beers. The favorite beers in our house are hefes, blonde ale, belgium whites, ets. Nothing heavily hopped. Obviously it cant have alot of additions in the boil (orange peels, coriander) that wouldnt work in different styles. I am open to fermenter or secondary additions to change the beers though.

I hope this is making sense to someone besides me.

Anyone any suggestions for a 10 gallon all grain recipe that would help me accomplish this. I was hoping to maybe use like a 1056 in 5 gallons and a wlp300 in 5 gallons..

Thanks

Look at post #29 I did a double batch - the liquid yeast WLP320 was pretty mild and the beer cleaned up almost clea. The WB-06 was cloudy and sour. People like it better than the WLP 320. The second batch, WB-06 only, isn't being recieved quite as well. I messed it up letting it sit and tossing in some extra priminng sugar to keep it fermenting when I went to summer camp with the youngest......

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/my-wife-likes-blondes-176150/index3.html

You could use a light base recipe with mostly pilsner and/or pale malt, maybe some flaked wheat and a touch of Vienna or Munich. Ferment one with a clean American or German yeast - like WLP001, WLP011, WLP029 or even WLP320 - this will give you something along the lines of an American wheat/blonde/Kolch-like beer. For the second batch you could ferment with something more Belgiany and phenolic like WLP500 or WLP550 - something along the lines of a Belgian blonde or Saison (?). You could even add some candi sugar or honey to the second fermenter for added complexity and to up the ABV. For hops I would stick with noble German varieties - mostly for bitterness, say 30ish IBUS, but also a small late addition for some hop flavor/aroma.

Back