All Grain Equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxmk6

Reaction score
Hi all, I am trying to get into all grain brewing, and I am hoping for a little suggestions if you all dont mind too much. I am nearly readyfinalize my equipment plans and I am not totally sure what exactly to get as far as the size of equipment. I am wanting to brew 10 gallon batches, so my question is what size mash tun do I make? Is a 10 gallon cooler ok, or do I have to go with the 14 gallon? Also the hot liquor tank, is a 10 gallon enough, or do I need something bigger?

Thanks for the suggestions. Have a cold one on me!:mug:

I asked about a brew pot yesterday and this one is big enough for 10 gallon batches and very innexpensive!

Link

Thanks to, Amiaji.

Ordered mine last night, shipped today.

Here's the link to my thread.

Hi all, I am trying to get into all grain brewing, and I am hoping for a little suggestions if you all dont mind too much. I am nearly readyfinalize my equipment plans and I am not totally sure what exactly to get as far as the size of equipment. I am wanting to brew 10 gallon batches, so my question is what size mash tun do I make? Is a 10 gallon cooler ok, or do I have to go with the 14 gallon? Also the hot liquor tank, is a 10 gallon enough, or do I need something bigger?

Thanks for the suggestions. Have a cold one on me!:mug:

I would go with the larger cooler, if you start doing higher gravity brews you will be really pushing it on a 10 gallon cooler. Heck I am already pushing it for 1.058-1.060 beers. As for the HLT you can work with a 10 gallon because I don't think you will use much more than 7-8 gallons of water for your strike, so you can refill and heat your sparge water during your mash. I will defer to some of the more experienced on the size of the HLT but make sure you have a 15 gallon or more kettle to boil.

Saxmk6,

As a rule of thuumb, practically speaking, Mash tun, HLT and brew kettle should generally be 1 1/2 times the batch size. Smaller can also work for regular size brews but you may be limited. A smaller HLT can also work but you may need to heat multiple batches of sparge water. Hope this helps.

Mike

I have an 18 gallon(72 quart) cooler for my tun. I did a 12 gallon 8.5% scotch ale in it & it was not big enough. We made it work but i will drop it to a 10 gallon batch next time. But you can always add some extract or i add brown sugar to my kettle. Then you can get away with a smaller tun. 10 gallons will be fine for your hlt. I used a 9 gallon forever & the only reason i switched to a keg i converted was because the keg is wider & heets up faster.
If you can avoid aluminum i would, at least for a boil kettle.

Thanks a bunch for the tips and suggestions. I will go with a larger size for sure. Thanks for the help.

Back