All-Grain equipment recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bg816am

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I have been brewing with extract for about a year now, and I am ready to make the move to All-Grain! I am considering 3 different ways to go about making the jump:

1.)Standard 2-cooler setup
2.)Robobrew
3.)Grainfather

Here is my situation, I live in a townhouse style condo without much outdoor brewing space, I will probably be using my garage or my deck for brewing. I feel that option 1 would give me the most flexibility, and will help me improve my skills as a homebrewer as time goes on, my concern is the space for the set up and/or using a propane burner in the garage. I like option 2 and 3 because it will take up little space and can pretty much brew anywhere. If I went for the grainfather, I would wait until there is a nice coupon sale on one of the brewing supply webistes.

I'm sure that by posting this, I am well aware that I will probably get several replies all with a different opinion, but it would be nice to hear from people that have had the same dilemma, or have used one or the other.

Thanks for listening!

What size pot do you currently use? If space is an option, you could potentially use it and pick up a bag and do BIAB in smaller batches. Or get a ten gallon pot and a bag. Cheaper and less equipment to store than a 2 or 3 vessel setup.

My setup is the classic cobbled together propane/cooler/kettle/buckets type thing, and I really wouldn't have it any other way for myself. But it definitely does require a fair bit of space to allow me to "spread out" on brew day, not to mention, space to store all those disparate pieces when not in use. Another thing to consider is that you need to make sure that wherever you plan to do your business, you have easy access to a water supply. This makes it difficult for some of us to brew in the winter because our exterior garden hose spigots are shut off and/or frozen.

If I were in your position, hands down I'd go with the Grainfather. My buddy has one and really enjoys it. It's not without its drawbacks, but he is able to easily brew in his kitchen, meaning he doesn't have to fight with winter weather like I do.

From what I can tell, the main drawbacks of the GF are that you are limited to 5gal batches and it takes forever to heat up compared to a good propane burner. At least, that is the case when running on 120VAC in the kitchen; not sure if they make a 240VAC version or not, which would heat up quicker.

I'm not familiar with the Robo thing you mentioned.

To answer the the previous questions, I have a 4 gallon pot I use with a burner on my porch for my extract brews. I like the idea of sticking with 5 gallon brews, so BIAB doesn't really work for me. As for the robobrew, it is a cheaper Grainfather sold on several websites.

I’m not a fan of a 2 cooler set up. IMO it involves moving too much water around. Simpler to just use the brew kettle to heat sparge water and store first runnings in a bucket. Or cold sparge. Or full volume mash with a large rectangular inexpensive cooler with a simple braid.

Buying a cooler just to move sparge water into and out of always seemed inefficient to me.

Hence why I like BIAB full volume. One vessel mash remove grain and boil easy peasy:)

It depends on what the rest of your brewing equipment consists of and your budget. Do you have a freezer for temperature controlled fermentations? Do you have kegs?
You already have a burner, for less than $100 you can get an 8 gallon pot. Do BIAB in that or for $20 more add a 5 gallon gallon round cooler from Walmart, add a spigot and you can do 5 gallon batches. For the cost of the Grainfather you can get the pot, cooler, spigot, a freezer, a temperature control and maybe have something left over for some kegs? If money doesn't matter, go for the GF, keep your existing pot and burner and you can use that to speed up the water heating process. Or for a little more than the G/F go for a 220v brewing system.

I’d go look at the robo and grain father. Guys in my club are into their grain father $1,000 but they can control it from their home and be at strike temp when they wake up which saves a few hours of brewing. They’re also getting some great efficiencies too. Storage is easier than a Rubbermaid cooler and you’re not taking up the stove for the boil.

I have a two-keggle and cooler setup, and I have been planning on moving to a recirulating e-BIAB system. Right now I am limited by electricity in my house (panel upgrade in the works). If you are handy and willing to learn electrical construction, you can build a Grainfather-esque system for cheaper. Whether you need 220v and 30A or 50A sevrice for a BIAB is a decent question (120v 20A like Grainfather is probably enough, but there's another, separate discussion there).

I also do all-grain 2.5-3g batches on my kitchen stove in the winter in a 4g pot (total outlay <$100), and with some creativity and a cooler (and two separate boils . . .) I can do 5g-6g batches also.

You may also want to consider an electric brew pot/ mash tun and use BIAB system

Gf are great, they do have their limitations as stated above, but they brew great beer

You’d need a separate vessel for sparge water with GF

my advice is to keep it cheap and find a plastic boiler / coolbox someone is selling used - you can brew a good 5 gallon beer in 6 hours with that set up - and upgrade bits later if needed

My LHBS shop guys use a Grainfather. It appears simple to use, clean, and control temp. I think the new ones Bluetooth to your phone. The only draw back is you're limited with the amount of grain but one can always add dme/lme for bigger beers. Their beer comes out just fine.

I've switched to 3gal from 6gal batches which make my brewing life MUCH easier, but I was totally happy with my 10gal converted cooler tun and 42quart aluminum pot from Academy. A converted cooler and pot will run you about $120. I could boil on my electric stove or propane burner. I temp control (fermenting in 5gal HD buckets) with a deep pan then throw in some ice every 6hrs or so for the first 2 days of fermentation, then let is rise to room temp so nothing overly complicated.

I use a SS strainer as a BIAB but you said you wouldn't do that. Basically there's many rivers that'll get you to the sea but your budget/time/space constraints will point you to the correct river. Good luck and happy brewing!

Back