All-Grain Equipment Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FensterBos

Reaction score
I am currently an extract brewer and I am investigating the necessary equipment for evolving to partial and all-grain brewing. Are there any quality all-grain brewing equipment kits or am I better off purchasing equipment individually?

Guess it depends on your DIY aptitude and your budget. I have brewed three extract/partial batches and have finally collected enough gear to do my first AG batch this weekend. Total cost in the AG specific gear is about $80. This is just for a 10G cooler and the associated hardware.

Are you getting stuck on a specific piece of hardware or concept?

Jason

I currently have all of the necessary equipment to brew extract batches (pot, burner, primary, secondary, bottling bucket, etc...). What I would like to do is purchase quality equipment that will not only make the transition from extract to all-grain easy, but will provide me the ability to move into commercial/nano brewing. For instance, if you do a search for brewing kits I always find basic and deluxe versions for extract brewing with all of the things needed. However, when I do a search for all-grain equipment kits I usually only see only the tun or two kettles with a false bottom.

So, while I was waiting for replies, I did some quick research and it looks like majority of equipment kits are designed for extract brewing (e.g. fermenter, bottler, siphon) and then anyone who wants to transition to all-grain needs to purchase additional equipment for those capabilities (e.g. tun, false bottom). For instance, if I was starting completely over, I would need to buy extract brewing equipment and then additional supplies such as a tun.

I currently have all of the necessary equipment to brew extract batches (pot, burner, primary, secondary, bottling bucket, etc...). What I would like to do is purchase quality equipment that will not only make the transition from extract to all-grain easy, but will provide me the ability to move into commercial/nano brewing. For instance, if you do a search for brewing kits I always find basic and deluxe versions for extract brewing with all of the things needed. However, when I do a search for all-grain equipment kits I usually only see only the tun or two kettles with a false bottom.

For something like you are proposing you will have to either put it together yourself or look at Sabco or B3 for a system.

Midwest has what I would guess would be the closest thing to single SKU hobby AG kits.

Low-end cooler setup:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/all-grain-brewing/all-grain-equipment-kits/cooler-kits.html

To a high-end Blichmann:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/all-...t-kits/blichmann-boilermaker-kettle-kits.html

This stuff I wouldn't really say could be used for commercial/nano as automation is the key to reproduction. I'd agree with sawdust as far as the Sabco or B3 for a single SKU full system.

Another manufacturer to look at for a 1-3bbl systems would be Stout Tanks:

http://conical-fermenter.com

Jason

You could always start off doing a BIAB. Just need a 40qt pot, and a nylon/curtain shear bag, or HD paint strainer bag.

I've done a few this way now.

I would like to move to an electric RIMS setup, but for the time being I'm able to do all-grain on a budget.

Chris

The only difference between homebrew level AG and a nano sized commercial brewery is the scale of the equipment. Home brew equipment is sized for making 5-10 gallon batches. Nano brew equipment is for larger batches like 1 bbl. Using a 1 bbl system to make only 5 gallons of beer is not very practical. And vice versa would be a nightmare.

So you get one or the other. I'd recommend you start with a homebrew scale system. A 10 gallon cooler with a bulk head and SS braid will be plenty to get you feet wet with AG. You will also need a great big brew pot and a wort chiller. Most people who do AG also do full wort boils. For a 5 gallon batch that would require an 8 gallon pot.

You could always start off doing a BIAB. Just need a 40qt pot, and a nylon/curtain shear bag, or HD paint strainer bag.

I've done a few this way now.

I would like to move to an electric RIMS setup, but for the time being I'm able to do all-grain on a budget.

Chris

I doubt he would be able to scale a BIAB setup to nanobrewery scale.

hi
this is the first time posting
I have photo of my all grain system
we brew 40 gal batches from farm to fermenter

I am currently an extract brewer and I am investigating the necessary equipment for evolving to partial and all-grain brewing. Are there any quality all-grain brewing equipment kits or am I better off purchasing equipment individually?

There are a couple of really easy ways to find out what you needs and get some great advice regarding the same.

1. Read a good homebrew book. Any decent one will give more advice you need on the basic equipment for the progression of extract brewing, to partial mash brewing, and finally to all-grain brewing. I recommend either "The Joy of Homebrewing" by Charlie Papazian or "How to Brew" by John Palmer.

2. Consult a local homebrew shop, offen appreviated LHBS, for "Local Homebrew Shop (or Supplier)" on this site. Being only a couple towns away from you I know there are at least 3 good shops within half an hour of where you live.

3. Join a homebrewing club. Club members are very willing to help and most clubs are structured around helping out fellow brewers with advice about equipment and processes, help brewing, and even the odd or spare equipment that they don't need anymore, often even if they aren't club members too.

BTW, my club is always open to new members. PM me if you're interested in a local shop or joining a clum and I'll hook you up.

Back