All Grain E-Bay set-up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I think it's overpriced. You could buy the fittings and coolers yourself for a heck of a lot less. Addtionally, if you get a 5G set-up you will kick yourself later for not getting a 10G Set-up. The five gallon ones are great for standard beers, but if you ever want five gallons of something stronger, you won't have enough room to mash.

You could build a 10 gallon setup with ball valves for around $100. This setup has 5 gallon coolers, so bigger grain bills will be pushing its max capacity.

I think if you're willing to do some of the work yourself, you could save a decent amount of money. I haven't done it yet, but it seems pretty easy to convert a cooler to a MLT.

Nothing wrong with the set-up. If you have the money to spend and don't want to DIY, then go for it. If you want to save some cash and spend it on ingredients, then build it yourself.

Thats not a bad deal, but not great also. You could problably buy everthing he includes in one trip to you local home improvent store for around a hundred buck's. If fifty buck, plus shipping, is worth it to you to not have to do the searching and modifing and putting it all together, than go for it.

You may want to research and consider the limitation of a five gallon cooler though, some think it is a waste of time, because you would quickly want to upgrade to a ten gallon. For about ten to fifteen dollars more, you could get the ten gallon and not be limited on your grain bill size.

I've got to go with the others. You really can do this all yourself at a considerable savings to what they are asking for.

I use the same Cube cooler as in the 15G setup for my mashtun. I picked it up on sale at Target i believe for $19.99
DIY is much cheaper but not everyone likes doing it, hence this guys success on ebay

unless I was batch sparging I would think the wheel wells in that 15 gallon setup would cause problems with the grain above it not being rinsed well.... for batch sparging that would be a great cooler......

but you could EASILY built that exact setup for 80 bucks or less if you did it yourself (probably closer to 60 depending on the cost of the coolers)......

The nice thing about the DIY setup for the MLT is that it takes very little time to put it together (less than 30 minutes) and it costs a lot less! I was able to get all the supplies at the local Home Depot except for the stainless steel washer (which I got from a local guy a few blocks away). I am not the most mechanically inclined person in the world but this was a piece of cake to put together!

I am also quite happy with the result. I have done 2 AG batches and they both turned out great! Clean up on it is a breeze and it holds temps very well! If you have a bit of time, do this one yourself and spend the money on grain for your brew!

Back