All Grain Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottgar12

Reaction score
I am fighting through the design of my first all grain system and I have a few topics for discussion. Basically I am going to use 3 keggles a pump, and I plan to recirculate my wort through an immersion coil in the HLT to maintain temperature during mash. Then recirculate my wort through the immersion coil again (sanitized) after boil to cool.

Questions...

1. Should I use a Ranco temp. controller wired to my pump to automate my recirculation? I don't like constantly monitoring my mash temperature, but it seems kinda pointless to have a temp controller in the mash when you'll still have to watch the temperature in the HLT. What are the preferences of those who have tried something like this.

2. Are there any slick solutions to inline oxygenation? Im going to use camlock quick disconnects which are cheap so Im thinking about trying to make a little thing out of a stainless t, and the 1/2" mpt oxygenation stone morebeer sells, and then putting it on my coil after I boil. But after all it may be more simple to just put the oxygenation stone in my fermenter. Any suggestions or preferences?

3. Do weldless fittings suck or do they not suck?

I would recommend against pumping the wort through the coil for chilling. I did it that way, and even with the HLT filled with ice, it's not enough thermal mass to bring down the Boil kettle to pitching temps. So, you have to circulate cold water through the HLT while pumping the wort through the coil, and at that point it's easier to just pump cold water through the coil and use it as an immersion chiller. This will also thoroughly flush your coil during every brew.

1. Should I use a Ranco temp. controller wired to my pump to automate my recirculation? I don't like constantly monitoring my mash temperature, but it seems kinda pointless to have a temp controller in the mash when you'll still have to watch the temperature in the HLT. What are the preferences of those who have tried something like this.
Are you heating via propane or electric? Ranco's won't give you near the precision you can achieve with a PID and RTD probes. Electric is also better for fine tuning your temperature, but propane can be regulated with a proper setup.

2. Are there any slick solutions to inline oxygenation? Im going to use camlock quick disconnects which are cheap so Im thinking about trying to make a little thing out of a stainless t, and the 1/2" mpt oxygenation stone morebeer sells, and then putting it on my coil after I boil. But after all it may be more simple to just put the oxygenation stone in my fermenter. Any suggestions or preferences?
You can piece together an inline oxygenator pretty easily. Morebeer actually sells one:
2571.jpg

But it might be better to piece it together yourself so you can use camlock connections instead of the barbs.
3. Do weldless fittings suck or do they not suck?
No, if you drill the hole the correct size and assemble them correctly, weldless fittings do not suck. They work great. The 7/8" hole can also still be used to dimple the fittings in for soldering or welding later on should you choose to go that route.

I am going to heat each of the kettles with the 55,000 btu burners from morebeer. I figured using a Ranco in the mash would be nice because it is easier to keep the water in the HLT between 170 to 180 to recirculate through rather than keeping the mash steady within a couple degrees. I dont want to apply direct heat to my mash.

Back