All grain brewing kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kush

Reaction score
Hello all! Im looking to skip extract and go directly to all grain. Yes i know i should probably start at an easier step, but i pick up on things really fast and no one is going to talk me out of it. Back to the subject: I am looking at this kit to brew all grain: http://www.northernbrewer.com/starterkits.html the deluxe starter kit. Is this a good kit to use for all grain? Will I need anything else besides a kettle, bottle, and ingredients? Thanks.

Photo shown below:

deluxe-beer.jpg

bathtub? i was going to see how efficient it is before I reach back to the wallet.

eh, i would personally go with extract, get the idea down, and get a chiller. The waiting period for cooling is soooo long, the faster the better for me...

Upgrading to AG wont take much once you have your extract gear.. just have a pot for a full boil.

bathtub is impractical for cooling full boils (5gal+)

You need a MLT as well, do a search on that will provide many examples of making your own.
Oh and a turkey fryer or other gas burner as your stove wont do it.

AG doesn't seem much harder to me, now that I do it. Read up on single infusion batch sparging and decide where you want to go from there. (if you haven't already) also www.howtobrew.com

kush said:
Will I need anything else besides a kettle, bottle, and ingredients? Thanks.

What you have pictured there is an extract kit. You'll need that kit, plus kettle, bottles and ingerdients to do an extract brew.

I would encourage you to brew an extract brew and get it fermenting now so your feet are getting wet.

And read up on mash tuns, lauter tuns and sparging while your one and only extract brew is fermenting.

M2c

In addition to that kit, you'll need a 10 gallon mash tun, a false bottom plus valve assembly, a wort chiller, lotsa hose, a propane burner, a BIG kettle for boiling (AT LEAST 7.5 gallons)...can't think of anything else of the top of my head.

that's a nice starting kit, tho. and like everyone said, you could brew an extract (with grains) batch with that the night you get it.

z987k said:
You need a MLT as well, do a search on that will provide many examples of making your own.
Oh and a turkey fryer or other gas burner as your stove wont do it.

Even if I have a gas stove?

never tried. Although I def. know i can with 5g. I figure yes, but will take awhile. But 5 g of brew is all im looking to work with right now.

but you end up boiling about 7ish and boil down to the 5 range.

Basically it depends on how much heat your stove can produce. Do a dry run with water if you want to find out.

Back