All Grain Brew Kettle Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

snow145532

Reaction score
So I'm looking to make the move to All Grain brewing already. Only on my second batch, but i like the idea of controlling more in my beer. So my girlfriend is going to buy me a pot for my b-day (awesome) and i'm trying to decide on the correct size. I only plan on doing 5 gallon batches and from what i'm reading with batch sparging techniques, you need to boil around 6.5 gallons to get to your 5 gallon batch size? Does this 30qt pot look good, or should I up the size to a 10 gallon pot?
thanks for any input

Grimm

Reaction score
pots are expensive, get one that you won't grow out of.
personally i would invest in some keggles. thus giving you the ability to do 10 gallon batches if you decide.

motobrewer

I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Reaction score
30 quart is way too small. i have one. it's way too small. you really need closer to 7 gallons in the boil

15 gal is my honest recommendation. 10 gal would be adequate.

Banjoman76

Reaction score
I have a 35 Quart SS brewpot and have not had any problems with a 6.5 gallon boil... But I do use FermCap-S just in case. FWIW

BrewBarron

Reaction score
I ended up choosing a 15 gallon pot, even though at this point, I only brew 5 gallon batches. I wanted the room to grow in case I wanted to step up to 10 gallon batches later on. My only complaint regarding my 15 gallon pot is the placement of the thermometer. It's a Blichman and they install their thermometers at the 6.5 gallon mark. So, I barely get to use it for 5 gallon batches. No big deal though. Otherwise, the 15 is great. Never had a boil over.

If I knew I would never want to cook up 10 gallons at a time, I would consider the 10 gallon pot. I just didn't want to take that chance. The beer tastes too good.

I hope your girlfriend really likes you. Pots can get expensive if you let them. Good luck.

HoppyMaltPoet

Reaction score
I've been doing split pot boils on my stove for quite some time now. I just upgraded to a 15 gallon. I almost bought the ten gallon because I only plan on doing 5 gallon batches but at over 300 bucks for the pot I figured to go a little bigger and get the 15 gallon just in case I ever wanted to do 10 gallon batches. I even get some feed back that the 15 gallon may be too small for a 10 gallon batch...but if that is so I can just use the 15 Gallon as a HLT and purchase a 20 gallon later on down the road.

Most importantly is to make your system as scalable as possible. It is much easier to buy a bit bigger now and grow into it, then it is to replace everything you already purchased. Just my 2 cents though.

BendBrewer

Reaction score
I suggest planning on going to 10 G batches and purchase a 60 qt. I am doing 10 G batches now in a 50 qt now but have to fudge it a little.

I am going to buy a 60 qt and use my 50 qt as a HLT.

15 Gallons is plenty of room for 10 gallon batches.

keatz85

Reaction score
I'm going All-Grain very soon. Looks like being able to grow into doing 10 gal batches is the best route. As I was recently hauling my 5 gallon fermenter around, I started wondering is it possible to work with a 15 gal kettle without a spigot?

VonAle

Almost not Pretend Brewer
Reaction score
I got a 10 gal last Christmas and it suits me fine for 5.5 gal batches.
(Aluminum $49.00)

I decided I was not a good enough brewer yet, nor can I drink enough beer to do 10 gal batches.

Bottling 10 gal at a time would also suck.

One day, I will be kegging and have my process down and then I might be ready to do larger batches, but that day is not here yet.

hogwash

Reaction score
I'm going All-Grain very soon. Looks like being able to grow into doing 10 gal batches is the best route. As I was recently hauling my 5 gallon fermenter around, I started wondering is it possible to work with a 15 gal kettle without a spigot?
Depends on what you're doing. Moving hot liquid and you'll want the valve. Just moving cooled wort and you can probably get away with siphoning.

dmashl

Reaction score
I use a 5 gallon pot, doing 4 gallon boils, and topping off with 2 gallons of water. Using beersmith helps get my hop calculations correct.

FuzzeWuzze

I Love DIY
Reaction score
So I'm looking to make the move to All Grain brewing already. Only on my second batch, but i like the idea of controlling more in my beer. So my girlfriend is going to buy me a pot for my b-day (awesome) and i'm trying to decide on the correct size. I only plan on doing 5 gallon batches and from what i'm reading with batch sparging techniques, you need to boil around 6.5 gallons to get to your 5 gallon batch size? Does this 30qt pot look good, or should I up the size to a 10 gallon pot?
thanks for any input
8 would be min, i have zero problems with my 9 gallon pot from Homebrewing.org

http://www.homebrewing.org/One-Weld-9-Gallon-Stainless-Steel-Pot_p_1683.html

9 Gallon Pot with Weld + SS Ball Valve is $60 cheaper.

PeteNMA

Reaction score
I used the 7 gallon pot that comes with the Target turkey fryer kit for a couple of batches. I found that a nominal 5 gallon batch recipe was really pushing the limits, even using FermCap in the boil it was ridiculously easy to get a boilover.

I bought a 15 gallon pot from Amazon for $60, which should cover me for 10 gallon batches too. Bigger than that means I'm upgrading my mash tun too.

Latest posts