All grain BIAB Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaké6

Reaction score
Currently in my recipe I have 1lb weyermann melanoidin which is 8% of the grist. Would that be too much melanoidin in the hefe?
To note: it’s going to be a 5.5 gallon batch

My hefeweizen recipe is basically Pilsner or Vienna at around 40% and wheat malt at around 60%. I use some acidulated malt replacing some of the Pilsner to control pH, but that is about it. I am not sure how the melanoidin malt will play with the other flavors. It would seem more appropriate to a dunkelweissen than a hefeweizen.

My hefeweizen recipe is basically Pilsner or Vienna at around 40% and wheat malt at around 60%. I use some acidulated malt replacing some of the Pilsner to control pH, but that is about it. I am not sure how the melanoidin malt will play with the other flavors. It would seem more appropriate to a dunkelweissen than a hefeweizen.

I was originally not going to add it until I heard that it somewhat mimics the value of decoction without actually doing the process of decoction. My other grains are 50% white wheat malt and 41.7% Pilsner. Brewfather says that it will have an SRM of 6.9 almost like a sunset color which still remains in the guidelines. Just worried about flavor :/

8% seems high to me. I dont think I've used more than 2% in most brews, a pinch in a dunkelweizen, and never in a hefeweizen

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking, I’ll definitely cut it down if anything. I just hope that it’s not too overbearing on this experiment. A lot of the other forums were saying 5%.

While melandoidin malt can give you some of the malty flavors of a decoction mash, a hefe usually is fairly light in these flavors. This is one of the reasons I will use Vienna malt in place of some or all of the Pilsner malt. The result is more of a toasted bread which is more in line with what I expect from a hefeweizen.

While melandoidin malt can give you some of the malty flavors of a decoction mash, a hefe usually is fairly light in these flavors. This is one of the reasons I will use Vienna malt in place of some or all of the Pilsner malt. The result is more of a toasted bread which is more in line with what I expect from a hefeweizen.

Ahhh, I completely forgot about Vienna and it’s effectiveness as a base malt. Definitely will try that! I’ll update you guys on this 8% melanoidin batch. Im sure it will be somewhat fine lol

Back