All Grain 7+ gal.... on a glass electric stove top?....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FxdGrMind

Reaction score
Ok, I did a Partial All Grain over the w/e.... LOOOONG day of brewing, but I think that the results may be suppirior to my other beers (well to date anyway), time will tell all.

So I'm thinking, hmmm All I did was heat several batches of 175 deg water and store in Cooler, using a 3 gal SS pot. I then had my 130 (30min) protien rest and subsequent 153-155 (30 and 30 min) Steeping. Folowed by filtering in Bag to Boil kettle (removing grains) and rinsing grains with 170+ 1.5gal water (from cooler).

Not too difficult and it appers that I got the OG the kit was supposed to have. 1.070 (I took the OG 24 hrs late and had 1.069). So it seems that I should be able to manage an all grain on the stove.

But my question is if I pre heat the water I need (as I've always done). What do you think about puting a 7+ gal kettle on the glass stove top?

Would you do it? or am I risking the stove top?
:confused:

Cheers:mug:

your stove top should have a weight rating. Plus I don't know if it will bring 7+G to a boil. That would be the biggest concern I think. That could be tested with water though after confirming the stove tops weight limit.

Most folks w/ glass tops say they can't boil any more than 4 gal max your best bet would be to split the boil up into 2 each 3.5 gal batches

I don't need it to boil. I do that outside on the deck with the 7.5 gal Turkey fryer.

I was thinking about just doing the Steeping etc on the stove and transfering to the Kettle outside for boil.

Just wondering if the glass Cook top can take the weight? I don't know if I still have the Manual for the stove.... Kitchen aid??? Heck I don't even know who made it....:confused:

I have a glass stove top and If I put my brew kettle on it it would cover about 1/3 of the cooktop.

I believe the issue with weight is that you can break the glass above the burner, but with a big pot spread out waaaaayyyy over the burner(s), that's probably not going to happen. (should you break your stove, not my fault!) ;)

The scenerio you describe is just what led me to make a heatstick and take brewing completely out of the kitchen. I use a heatstick to heat strike/sparge water and finish the boil on propane.

I have a ten gallon boilermaker that fits on my glass stovetop and boils 6.5-7 gallons of wort (out of the mash tun...already at ~130 after sparge) in about 50 minutes with the lid on. Sure it takes a little longer than most people, but I can brew indoors year round (which is a big deal when it's below zero for weeks on end here in MN). As far as I'm concerned...it works like a charm.

Thanks Hop!
I don't mind doing the 60+ min boil and chill outside in the winter, but spending 4-5 hrs out there well that's another matter all together. Around here it's the dang cold rain/snow/sleet.... ARG.

Now to find a 8-9 Gal SS brew kettle to order... =)

I strongly recommend the Boilermaker by Blinchmann. It is a little on the expensive side, but wow I love that thing!

See pic below:

Photo_66.jpg

Back