All Falconer's Flight IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnlipas

Reaction score
Hello,

Yesterday I brewed up a batch of an IPA that I want to make with all Falconer's Flight hops. Those were the only hop additions during boil, then the recipe calls for 14 days of dry hopping. I've read a few articles online and folks seem to think that IPAs with just Falconer's Flight hops can be underwhelming hop wise. Has anyone tried a recipe like this before and had success? Any recommendations to dry hop with something else (Citra or Magnum?). I found this article from a few years ago: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=296379&page=1 and it sounds like it turned out good, but I didn't follow that exact recipe. See recipe below.

Thanks!

12 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 90.3 %
1 lbs 2.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.0 %
4.0 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 3 1.8 %
2.00 oz Falconer's Flight [10.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 72.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Falconer's Flight [10.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 5 21.9 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
0.50 oz Falconer's Flight [10.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 9.0 IBUs
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 8 -
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast 9 -
1.50 oz Falconer's Flight [10.50 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Falconer's Flight is a blend of "Citra®, Simcoe®, and Sorachi Ace along with experimental hops and numerous other NW varieties."
So a dry hop of Citra, while not completely something else, should do fine.
I have used Falconer's Flight as aroma in AHS Budget IPA with bittering Magnum and flavor Cluster. It was very good. Dry hop of Magnum could work.

Me, I'd stick with your recipe. I'm a fan of first impressions.
But I don't think you'd go wrong with either the Citra or Magnum dry hop or both.

Thanks John, I think I'll just stick to the recipe and see how it turns out. I will definitely get to know the characteristics of Falconer's Flight hops this way!

:mug:

Considering the make-up of "Falconers Flight" varies from batch to batch, I'm not sure of the value of getting too personal with it ;)

In any case, the original recipe calls for dry hopping for 7 days - not 14.
If you want double the kick, use double the hops, not double the time.

Even 7 is pushing the "grassy" envelope, imo. I never dry hop in the FV for more than 5 days before cold-crashing and kegging...

Cheers!

Back