all cascade IPA ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorneliusAlphonse

Reaction score
hey all,

I have a pound of 7.5%AA cascade, and was thinking of an all-cascade ipa. I'm open to using different malts (2-row supplemented by something else) so it's not really a SMaSH.

would i get a better brew just adding some other hops? (i haven't made an IPA before, just drunk lots of commercial ones)

thoughts?

i've started doing many single hopped brews lately, just to allow that one variety of hop to really sing to me. i suspect it would be delicious. the only reason i wouldn't do one with cascade is because of every damn craft brewery in the nation being obsessed with cascade for several years, i am already incredibly familiar with that variety.
obsessed with a fairly good reason, i might add.

I made an all cascade IPA once and I wasn't a huge fan. I may have had some other issues with the beer, but the taste wasn't terribly enjoayble. try making a tea out of some of the hops and see if you like the flavor by itself.

I make several all-cascade APAs and IPAs. I grow them, plus buy them by the pound, so I usually have 2-3 pounds around at any given time. They are wonderful, and an all-cascade IPA is really good!

Here's a Mirror Pond type APA clone:

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.87 %
13.1 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 7.45 %
3.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 1.68 %
0.75 oz Cascade [8.60 %] (60 min) Hops 19.6 IBU

1.25 oz Cascade [8.60 %] (15 min) Hops 18.0 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [8.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade (homegrown) [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

An IPA can be done with less crystal malt, a higher OG (more two-row) and more hops at the same times.

I have done it once. All I did was beef up Ed's Haus Pale Ale, to about 1.060ish (to end up around 6% ABV) and hopped accordingly to make it an IPA. I ended up using 5 ounces, but my AA's weren't as high as yours. I did not dry hop it. I thought it was good. I say go for it :mug:!

Well, you have a pound to go through to figure it out! You can probably get three decently hoppy 5-gallon brews out of a pound.

I've done an all-Cascade IPA once and it was pretty good, but Cascade plays so well to the good parts of Chinook and Willamette that it's really tempting to combine those. But then you wouldn't know what an all-Cascade beer tastes like.

Sure its been done before (and will be very tasty!). Since your AA's are on they higher end I say go for it! If you had lower AA's I would have suggested using a stronger hop at 60 minutes just to save on hops, but it will be more interesting to say that it is all cascade. Plus you will have no excuse for not knowing what cascade tastes like in a beer anymore!

Let us know how it turns out.

My favorite homebrew IPA is an all-cascade beer. I've done variations where I used a different bittering hop or a different dry hop but they just weren't as nice to drink as the all-cascade version.

If your going to use a single hop cascade's good choice. As several others have mentioned it's a pretty popular hop and pretty universally usable in many styles.

I make several all-cascade APAs and IPAs. I grow them, plus buy them by the pound, so I usually have 2-3 pounds around at any given time. They are wonderful, and an all-cascade IPA is really good!

Here's a Mirror Pond type APA clone:

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.87 %
13.1 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 7.45 %
3.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 1.68 %
0.75 oz Cascade [8.60 %] (60 min) Hops 19.6 IBU

1.25 oz Cascade [8.60 %] (15 min) Hops 18.0 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [8.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade (homegrown) [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

An IPA can be done with less crystal malt, a higher OG (more two-row) and more hops at the same times.

Thanks Yooper! i might actually give your APA a try, as is. i'll use a program to make sure the IBUs will be similar. It's only my third all grain, and my first one didn't convert (stovetop in a pot with a short thermometer... i think the temperature was too high), so i'm trying to play on the safe side.

thanks to everyone else for the advice as well! i will keep updated on the progress.

edit: what yeast do you think would work best? also, what mash temperature (i assume low-ish?) thanks!

Sorry for the slow response.. I brewed this on Canadian Thanksgiving (october 8th I believe), had it on tap at Halloween, and the keg just blew a day or two ago. By far my most popular brew yet, and hence the quickest to get drunk. Thanks for the tips and recipe!

Cascade is a great hop - for one thing it is cheap and easy to come by (not at all true any more of many nice NW hops these days.) In case you decide to brew this again try an continuously hopped IPA a la DFH 60 minute but using just cascade.

I do this and it turns out fantastic. I do it periodically when I get a fresh shipment of Cascade but the continuous hopping thing is a little labor intensive and I need to be all ready before the boil (no cleaning or prepping during the boil since you are otherwise involved!)

Back