All Brettanomyces Claussenii Beer Design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
I'm going out on a limb here looking to completely design a beer with no base recipe to work on or modify. This is all my design so if you see issues, please holler before I waste time and effort with an epic fail.

My goal is to make a lemony looking (3.5-4 SRM) refreshing beer with Mosaic as my only hop except bittering from CTZ CO2 extract full boil. Want a bit of haze, not full wheat, but a slightly cloudy look that appears juicy. Beer will have a bit of funk from the brett but not so much it takes away from the easy drinking style I wish to create. I feel the pineapple aroma from brett c will love playing with the hop profile of Mosaic especially softly done as late additions.

First I'll use 100% Brett Claussenii for the promise of a pineapple note on the nose. I'll make a big starter for a full week according to Lance Shaner of Omega (we talked about the yeast only). Brett acting alone will take appx 4 weeks at 75-80F to fully attenuate down into the 1.010 range or slightly less.

4# Marris Otter
3# Breiss 2 Row
2# White Wheat
.25# Carapils

2.5mL CTZ extract @ 60
1 oz Mosaic @ 10
1 oz Mosaic @ Whirlpool
(I do not plan to dry hop at this time unless I can justify the benefit)

My design should yield a 1.048 OG beer with 33.5 IBU's finishing right at 5% abv.

My only other thought was to drop into the warm wort a few Swanson L Plantarum tabs the night before the boil to get a very quick and light souring effect but not too sour. I was thinking 3.7ph maybe for a light hint of sour to play with the slightly fruity funk I want.

May I have thoughts from those experienced in this area? Basic recipe design? Would you skip the sour phase and just do a beer w/o the lacto influence? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Dude, this may be a huge winner! Only question I have is you making this recipe "public". Heck man, some brewery may see this and steal your recipe and make big $$$.

I made an NE style IPA using all Brett fermentation (funk weapon #2) a couple weeks ago. It was one of my favorite beers so far. A big starter is good and if you pitch a big enough one it shouldn't take 4 weeks to fully attenuate, the younger the Brett the more fruity flavors/aromas your going to get out of it. With that said I would dry hop and up the whirlpool so you could get both flavors and aromas or else the Brett will overpower the hop (not a bad thing) but you still want some hop presence in there. I would skip the souring(on your first time) the Brett gives a tart refreshing flavor and you get the full effect this way.

I made an NE style IPA using all Brett fermentation (funk weapon #2) a couple weeks ago. It was one of my favorite beers so far. A big starter is good and if you pitch a big enough one it shouldn't take 4 weeks to fully attenuate, the younger the Brett the more fruity flavors/aromas your going to get out of it. With that said I would dry hop and up the whirlpool so you could get both flavors and aromas or else the Brett will overpower the hop (not a bad thing) but you still want some hop presence in there. I would skip the souring(on your first time) the Brett gives a tart refreshing flavor and you get the full effect this way.

You make a good point in that this beer is going to have at least a few similar characteristics of a NEIPA. Yeah, I waffled around on the WP hop amounts and the dry hop additions. I wanted to keep the IBUs low, and I still cant seem to get a firm handle if a WP addition bumps the IBUs or not. Maybe do an extra .5 oz in WP and dry hop an oz for a few days in secondary (keg)?

I also waffled on the lacto, so I'll plan to skip it this time so I can see the full impact of brett c alone.

I appreciate your input as you clearly have the experience I was looking for. Some folks weigh in and have never even heard of Brett C before. You know what I mean.

I don't count the added IBU's during whirpool they are no where near the predicted IBU's from any recipe software. I have done recipes with all flameout and whirlpool hops no bittering and didn't like the results. I only count IBUs from any hops that actually are in the boil. Keep us updated I want to see how this turns out for you. I just did a kettle sour Sunday that I'm fermenting with funk weapon #2, bubbling away nicely right now.

I don't count the added IBU's during whirpool they are no where near the predicted IBU's from any recipe software. I have done recipes with all flameout and whirlpool hops no bittering and didn't like the results. I only count IBUs from any hops that actually are in the boil. Keep us updated I want to see how this turns out for you. I just did a kettle sour Sunday that I'm fermenting with funk weapon #2, bubbling away nicely right now.

Excellent. I just adjusted (my recipe in BeerSmith) the WP hop addition to 1.5oz and will do 1 oz dry hop in keg. This should work out nicely and I appreciate your input.

I'll be sure to update and hope you'll do the same after you rack off your kettle sour w/Brett. Anxious to hear how they play together. I may try that after you update with your results.

This does sound great and what I was thinking of doing but with Sac Trois. May need to try a batch with Brett as well.

Sacch Trois sounds promising as well. If you brew this with 644 and I go with 645 (WLP or similar company), I'd love to compare notes and possibly exchange a beer if you will.

I have brewed several Brett C beers. It's my fav for 100% Brett's. I doubt it will take 4 weeks at 80. But you'll get a nice fruit bomb that hot.

I'd up the wheat a bit more and mash at 154 if you want the haze to hold. I usually go with best malz pils and wheat with 3% acid malt to get a little sour in the mix and keep the ph down.

I'm a fan of galaxy and mosaic as an addition. You could consider a dry hop with galaxy on the fly after your close to FG

I would skip the lacto it will contrast the hops

Cheers

I have brewed several Brett C beers. It's my fav for 100% Brett's. I doubt it will take 4 weeks at 80. But you'll get a nice fruit bomb that hot.

I'd up the wheat a bit more and mash at 154 if you want the haze to hold. I usually go with best malz pils and wheat with 3% acid malt to get a little sour in the mix and keep the ph down.

I'm a fan of galaxy and mosaic as an addition. You could consider a dry hop with galaxy on the fly after your close to FG

I would skip the lacto it will contrast the hops

Cheers

I think I'll skip the lacto this time as you suggested as well as several others. You make a good point in that most of the sours I make especially Gose styles are virtually hop free. Very good point.

I cant decide if Galaxy or Mosaic is my favorite hop. Guess when that kind of dilemma exists...use them BOTH! LOL

Back