All Brett pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hpr89

Reaction score
I'm too excited not to share.

I just brewed a pale ale with Vienna, c20, and victory.

30 ibus bittered with magnum with late additions of citra and mosaic.

I pitched a big starter of Brett. Anomala. I also added some Brett beer dregs.

I started at 67 degrees. I'm ramping up a degree and a half a day until I hit 75 or so. I'll drop it back down to 68-70 to hang out until I'm certain it finishes.

I want to dry hop with mosaic and citra. I'm also considering some light toast French oak soaked in a white wine.

Depending in the flavors I get from the Brett a. I'm considering a belgiany IPA, or an American brown ale on the cake.

It is going nuts right now. Glad I used the blow off tube!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sounds good to me. My currently tapped IIPA is Citra/Columbus/Summit and I oaked it for a week with white wine soaked oak chips. Super juicy and tasty, love the little bit of dry, tannic finish from the oak. Also the 3-Way IPA by Fort George (a local brewery, well, about an hour from Portland in Astoria) is my favorite right now and is Citra/Mosaic/Chinook. Brett will only make it tastier. Good choices!

Thanks ! I'll keep my eyes peeled for 3-way. How much oak did you use ? What type of oak? I don't want to over oak a milder beer.

I used 1 oz oak chips that had soaked in like 1/2 cup of Chardonnay for a week and dumped it all in including the wine. The chips were Oregon medium toast. I have read chips are more one dimensional and stronger than cubes, which I can't really speak to but I like the dimension they added. My beer is 88 IBUs and 8.1% ABV, so you could use less or maybe do less time. Taste every day until it's good?

I've got French, medium soaking in a white blend. I will go with an ounce and taste everyday. Did you dry hop?

Yes, at the same time as the oak I did 3.5 oz of all three hops (2 oz was Citra) and it is hopped in the keg with Citra and Columbus, 1 oz each.

Excellent. I'm getting excited. I might toss something tasty in the keg. Great idea.

I brewed something along these lines last weekend with a big pitch of Brett Anomala from ECY. I used a little Magnum for a bittering addition and went with Citra and Galaxy at flameout. Before I'm ready to bottle, I'm going to hit it up with a 3 to 5 day dry hop of the same. The sample tasted great that I took the other day. I'm really excited about this one.

Let us know how it goes!

Sampled the pale yesterday. I'm very excited. It's pretty dry, fruity and nicely balanced. The fruitiness goes great with the malty goodness. Victory was a great addition I think.

Nice. I just got finishing bottling mine and was very pleased with how it's coming along. I'll let you know how it is once it's carbonated.

Update. My Brett A took 1st in the Washington state fair in the Belgian specialty ale category.

Back