Ales: No 2ndary moment of zen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgez

Reaction score
I know there has been debate on whether 2ndary fermentation is needed for ales in most cases. I've never really got into the debate because my method was working for me. Well, I have had a moment of enlightenment.

Normally my ale fermentation schedule is as follows:
3 weeks minimum in primary. Rack to 2ndary, crash cool for minimum 1 week, transfer to keg when ready and set PSI to 30 for 2 days.

Well out of pure laziness I have deviated from my norm. I made a brown ale at the beginning of June. This would have had me racking to 2ndary in the beginning of July, then I would keg as needed. But this time I was just to lazy to do this. So instead of transferring to 2ndary, I just left it in primary and turned the temp down in my fermentation fridge until I was ready to keg. So here it is beginning of August, I kegged two days ago, and at this moment I'm drinking a nice malty, roasty, toasty brown ale and I can't tell a lick of difference.

Conclusion: 2ndary does jack squat and is a waste of time and energy.
:mug:

Latest posts

Back