Alecost

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FranklinNewhart

Reaction score
I came upon this in a book of Herbs.

Spicy Herb for Ale
This aromatic herb has two common names, costmary and alecost. “Cost” refers to costus, a spicy Asian plant related to ginger, which has a slightly similar flavor. “Mary” refers to an association with the Virgin Mary, perhaps because it was used in medieval times as an infusion to relieve the pain of childbirth. “Alecost” translates into ale-cost or “spicy herb for ale” as it was once an important flavoring of ales. The large, oblong leaves of costmary make neat, fragrant bookmarks, a use that gives us the old names Bible leaf or Bible plant. The minty odor might help to repel silverfish or insects from the family Bible, and the leaf could be smelt or chewed secretly during long sermons to stay awake

Anybody on here ever heard of this herb and how it is used for making Ale.

I had not heard of that word so I looked it up and got this from Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruit
Sounds like it could be something to work on when I see the variety of bitters they are using. I do a lot of other things with herbs including making my own Bitters so I have lots of Herbs kicking around.
Would still want to put Hops in with it though.

Back