Ale yeast suggestions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benko

Reaction score
Any suggestions for a dry ale yeast that ferments relatively clean (low fruit/esters) but leaves a decent amount of residual sweetness. I'm thinking Safale 04 fermented in the low 60's, but am open to anything.

I'm doing an american brown ale. I know that a clean american ale yeast would be more to style, but I think a Safale US-05 or a Wyeast 1056 might attenuate out too much. I'd like to make a beer along the lines of a Moose Drool, which has a little bit of sweetness to it.

I'm doing an american brown ale. I know that a clean american ale yeast would be more to style, but I think a Safale US-05 or a Wyeast 1056 might attenuate out too much. I'd like to make a beer along the lines of a Moose Drool, which has a little bit of sweetness to it.

I would say if you wanted to keep the style more on the line of being an American Brown Ale then by all means use the US-05 or 1056. Just in my opinion S-04 is used for English style Ales and if your looking for another dry yeast counterpart that will give some residual sweetness due to medium attentuation then try windsor ale yeast. Even if you use an English style ale yeast and you hop with american hops it will be "your" own style. Also if you have the time and space to do it, make identical batches of wort and use S-04 in one fermenter and S-05 in the other.

Just did ale w/ S04 and american hops, fermented low sixties, grain to glass in three weeks. 1/4 keg finished at 7/4 b'que.

I really like how the S04 leaves more behind, plus it flocs better and faster than the 05.

S04 and a 2 day cold crash, and then a day or two w/ gelatin prior to kegging, yeilds a brilliant beer!

I got 1056 down to 1.010 which might be too low for the sweetness you're looking for. If you use that you may want to make sure your OG is up close to 1.060 if you want something sweet.

I brewed a brown ale with Nottingham (fermented at about 66-68 ambient) and it was great!!! I heartily recommend it, very clean, cleared nicely without finings. FWIW, I think that the choice of malts and mash temp are more important to the sweetness of the final product than the yeast. I recommend trying brown malt as one of your speciality grains...definitely made a big difference in my brown ale.

Back