Ale vs Lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNKDUKE

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed my first lager and built up a double 2000 ml starter for pitching. It took off within 6 hours but has now subsided. I used a blowoff tube (better safe than sorry) but there was no activity in the jug of star san - I mean no bubbling at all even though there was plenty of activity in the carboy.
Does lager yeast act differently than ale yeast? I know one is top fermenting and the other is bottom fermenting and the temps are lower but is this unusual?
Yeast used is Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager.

As always, Thanks.

If you see signs of fermentation then all is well. The CO2 is just finding some way out you're not seeing. If fermentation is calm replace your blow off with the airlock and you'll probably start seeing your reassuring bubbles.

Lager yeast work better than ale yeast at lower temps but they're still yeast and will be more active at higher temps. The lower temps reduce the esters that could give alternate flavors but it takes longer to do their thing in colder environments.

You should be good with your fermentation if krausen has formed.

You should be good with your fermentation if krausen has formed.

Krausen has dropped out mostly.
Brewed this on Saturday; could this be stuck? I can't remember the last time I had a stuck fermentation.
Recipe calls for this sitting at 55degF for 14 days and then lagering for 3 months.

Back