Ale Vs. Lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbens6

Reaction score
So this is prolly gonna be silly but...

I have been doing mostly extract ales, is there any reason i cannot use an ale recipe but then lager it with a lager yeast? For instance, i like this amber ale i have made, can i just switch to a lager yeast and get a decent result or is there some beer ruel that says it just wont turn out right at all?

Well, lagers tend to prefer a long, very cool secondary, as opposed to the shortish ale secondary periods, but this is homebrew--do what ever you like, all that matters is that you report back to us how it worked for ya.

I'm curious, never having done it myself!

Some very small beers, like 60/- and ordinary bitter, would probably turn out inexcusably boring without ale yeast esters.

The ales that will be OK using a lager yeast are any that ferment well with a dry neutral yeast. An Amber will probably be fine.

I get that they ferment differently, but the comment about n ordinary bitter being boring without the ale yeast esthers is more what i was wondering... i just didnt know if certain grains went with certain yeasts, i may try it with the amber next time, maybe split it into 2 2.5gal batches and see what happens.....

Back