Ale temps for Lager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will it ferment? Most likely. Will it ferment properly? No. Nothing says you can't do it, but the character of the beer will be nothing like what was intended for a lager yeast fermenting at the right temperature.

That's like taking an ale yeast and fermenting at 85 or something. It's not meant to be fermented at that range, but it will. Problem is, the flavors produced will be far from ideal.

It depends on the yeast, but most of the "hybrid" yeasts will only go up to the mid 60's. Most lager yeast will not function well in high temps. What are you trying to make? Maybe we can suggest a good ale yeast to use instead of lager.

Hey guys.. first post here so pardon my noobness :p

I did the same thing. For the beer that I was looking for (Brew house Munich Dark Lager) the LHBS recommended the 2206 Bavarian Lager (8-14 deg) wyeast. I popped the primary in my basement and the coldest I can get is 17.5 deg. Is there any way to try to drop the temp over the several days of fermentation, or is my beer just not going to have the same flavor that was intended?

Thanks in advance!

You can try sticking your fermenter into a larger bucket of water and then chill the water with ice, frozen water bottles, etc. But it would take quite a bit of ice to cool down a fermenter to those temps and then maintain it. Another option would be to find a refrigerator to fit the fermenter into, but that may not be a readily available option either.

Yes, you can use a lager yeast at ale temps...that's what an Anchor Steam beer is...;)

Yes but you would want to use the proper lager strain http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=131 for that, not just any lager yeast. I'm sure hb_99 knows that. Just clarifying for others.

And for those who wonder if you can brew an ale at lager temperatures. Yes you can - that is a Kolsch. But again not with any strain of yeast http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=144.

GT

I use S-05 around 55 quite often. It gives a sort of peachy flavor and takes a little longer, but I like it. I have a house amber ale I make often that tastes much better fermented low. These are my personal tastes, however. Try it and see if it works for you. Some other good ale yeasts that do well low are kolsch and alt yeasts.

You can try sticking your fermenter into a larger bucket of water and then chill the water with ice, frozen water bottles, etc. But it would take quite a bit of ice to cool down a fermenter to those temps and then maintain it. Another option would be to find a refrigerator to fit the fermenter into, but that may not be a readily available option either.

I have had success with this, you just need enough plastic bottles. Adding salt to the water in the bottles should help a little as well.

It depends on the yeast, but most of the "hybrid" yeasts will only go up to the mid 60's. Most lager yeast will not function well in high temps. What are you trying to make? Maybe we can suggest a good ale yeast to use instead of lager.

Actually that is what I thought I had! I made up four batches and each one was not fermenting in the usual way. I researched my last order for yeast and lager was sent in error. Now I have 4 batches that are going to be a big experiment!

They are fermenting very slowly. Quickly from OG of 1.037 down to 1.016 (should be around 1.008-1.010). One of them is 1.057 and is sitting at 1.026. This is the 3rd week of fermenting and there is still activity. I tasted them today as I was measuring the SG and they tasted just fine!

Here is the yeast specifiations

www.maurivinyeast.com/upload/mauribrew Lager 497.pdf

Keith

Actually that is what I thought I had! I made up four batches and each one was not fermenting in the usual way. I researched my last order for yeast and lager was sent in error. Now I have 4 batches that are going to be a big experiment!

They are fermenting very slowly. Quickly from OG of 1.037 down to 1.016 (should be around 1.008-1.010). One of them is 1.057 and is sitting at 1.026. This is the 3rd week of fermenting and there is still activity. I tasted them today as I was measuring the SG and they tasted just fine!

Here is the yeast specifiations

www.maurivinyeast.com/upload/mauribrew Lager 497.pdf

Keith

That yeast sounds a bit iffy. But...it says to use it above 59 so I would put it right at 60F. Also, lager yeast tend to be a lot slower than ale yeast. I've had lagers in primary for 4-6 weeks before I take them out.

Back