Ale pail smells like soap, and I'm brewing today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatshowyougetants

Reaction score
So my last brew was pretty active and left the inside of my primary ale pail covered in dry krausen, right up to the lid. I put a scoop of Oxi Clean Free in there and filled it with hot water, but it's been sitting like that since I bottled that brew 2 1/2 weeks ago.

I'm getting ready to use the pail today, and rinsed it out (looks perfectly clean!) but now every time I rinse it with water it smells like soap! Like... a pretty strong soapy smell. I have no choice but to use it today but I'm concerned it will make my beer taste soapy.

Anybody have any experience with this problem? I keep letting it dry and re-rinsing it with hot water but so far it still smells.

Rinse it really well. It is more than likely fine, but I cannot say that for sure. I am wondering where the soapy smell is coming from. Are you sure your Oxyclean is perfume free? I have never detected any soapy smell even with a very concentrated solution.

Leaving oxyclean to soak for so long leaves a scale/film that must be dissolved with something like vinegar & water or starsan.

Maybe "Free" points to something else. John Palmer warns against using anything with perfumes in it.

The plastic must have soaked up the odors. If you leave it to air out (put a computer fan in it) in time it will vanish but ever so slowly. Pasting a layer of baking soda along the sides may speed it up, but still not within reasonable time. That odor needs to be leeched out again. That's a slow process.

And you definitely don't want to leech it out into your beer during the next 4 weeks.

Buy another bucket.

Don't need another bucket,trust me. Other threads have pointed this out as a fault of oxyclean. It can be dissolved out as I mentioned previously.

I'll start rinsing it with starsan right now... I don't have a LHBS to sell me another bucket today.

Thanks all.

Back