Ale Pail Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechard

Reaction score
hey folks, should I need to cover my white Ale Pale primary from light?

I've wrapped a black garbage back over it, just leaving the airlock exposed, but I wouldn't think much light would get into the bucket anyways. If its out of direct sunlight in a basement, would it be alright otherwise? When I rerack to my carboy for dry-hopping, it will be in a dark cupboard, my ale pail is just too tall.

Thanks!

I leave my Ale Pales out in the open (away from direct light, though) and have noticed no problems. I believe the plastic does a good job of filtering out the UV from the ambient light.

Leave mine out in the open, never had a problem. The buckets are opaque white, no light is getting in.

I leave mine in almost the same spot - out in the open in the basement. There's some light (sliding glass door with vertical blinds), but no direct light. No issues.

Opaque fermenters don't need to be shielded from the light, unless said light is raising the temperature of the fermenter too much. They keep the UV spectrum out of the fermenting goodness inside.

If you were using glass/clear plastic carboys, then it would be an issue.

I wrap a blanket around mine but that's more to help keep an even temp (basement get cold @ night) but it also would help with any light as well.

Thanks for the info, I'll leave it uncovered, which will make it much easier to see the thermometer on the side.

I'll have the better bottle carboy sitting the dark for secondary anyways.

One more question... Is there a specific reason to select a pail over the carboy for primary or vice versa, or is it just user preference?

Bucket is ez to clean & primary can leave a lot of crap behind. Plus you want the small neck of the Carboy for less air to touch your beer.

Even a lot of clear plastics (in fact most, I think) don't let UV through. Glass is a different story, but if it's opaque, you'll be fine. I leave my fermentors out in the light and even constantly expose them to fluorescent lights, and I've never had even the slightest issue with skunking.

Back