ale fermentation was on the cold side

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheatgerm

Reaction score
The fermentation of my first batch is done. It seemed to take about a week(stable at 1.016). The yeast was Wyeast 1332 which has a range of 65-75. The cooler started off at 57F and never got above 63F during the fermentation. I know that a warm ferm. is bad, but what about fermenting on the extreme low end of an ale yeast's range? What kind of effect does that have on the flavor?

The lower the temp, the cleaner the flavor profile you get from the yeast (i.e. you will not get as much fruity ester flavor.)

For the record, most people will tell you 63 is right where you want to be for your typical ale.

Also, the temperature in the fermenter can be up to 10F higher than the temp outside of the ferm.

It'll be fine. That type of fermentation temperature, excluding other variables like how much yeast you pitched, should result in a cleaner flavour like Brookdale said.

RDWHAHB (except that this is your first batch ;)). First batch is done; it can only get better, no matter how good it is.

:mug:

Wow! I knew the fermenter would be warmer, but I didn't know that the diff. could be as high as 10F. Next time around I'll have to use a remote thermistor to be more accurate.

If it's extreme low, worst thing that would happen is that the yeast will go dormant and fermentation will slow or stop... you can always 'wake' them up by raising the temp...

Back