alcohol %%%%

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
so this is my first homebrew that wasn't a brewers best kit.. I made a honey lager and my OG was 1.061 and my FG is at 1.011...is there a general formula to figure out you alcohol percentage? thanks for hte help!!!

What Ollllo said....
basically - starting gravity - final gravity times 105

I was pretty sure that it's times 131. Can anyone confirm which is correct?

Edit: the calculator above comes out at 6.3% so I think 131 will give a closer estimate of abv than 105 (If you back into the formula used by the calculator on brewhaus it's OG-FG*126)

I was pretty sure that it's times 131. Can anyone confirm which is correct?

Edit: the calculator above comes out at 6.3% so I think 131 will give a closer estimate of abv than 105 (If you back into the calculation on the calculator on brewhaus it's OG-FG*126)

105 is for by weight ( I edited too slow, sorry)

Does this take into account the fermentation that occurs after botting/kegging when the priming sugar is added, or is that just neglectable?

Not just neglectable, but also negligible. :D

It really is not a factor.

Thats the word I was looking for! I just drew a blank when writing the post. It seems the extract kit I'm using isn't very clever. It told me to add half a percent to take into account the priming sugar addition, and also told me a weird way towork out the ABV which comes out just wrong.

It says times OG and FG by 1000 then do (OG-FG)/7.46 + 0.5 (for priming sugar)

Back