Alcohol Tolerance for yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundown1

Reaction score
I am a beginner. I have a wheat beer fermenting in the primary with Safbrew wb-06 yeast. My starting gravity was 1.06. After 5 days there is no fermintation activity. Is it possible the alchol % got to high for this yeast? If the yeast died of to high of alcohol% does it hurt to leave it in the primary for several more days or once the yeast is killed by to high alcohol % is the beer ruined?

Sounds to me like it's done fermenting. 1.060 O.G. is fine, just ride it out in the primary for another week or so.

No, all ale yeasts can go to roughly 10% or higher. You are out of the active or "high krausen" phase of fermentation. You will probably notice the foam on the top will drop, or has dropped. The yeast will continue to do work, albiet much slower now. Most of what they will be doing is cleaning up byproducts of fermentation and maybe fermenting a few more points.

Does it need to stay in the primary for another week? Can I keg, refridgerate it and carbonate?. If it is still green will it still age after this step with time?

It needs to stay in the fermenter until it is clear or at least three weeks, four would be better.

Latest posts

Back