Alcohol Tolerance for yeast

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

sundown1

Reaction score
I am a beginner. I have a wheat beer fermenting in the primary with Safbrew wb-06 yeast. My starting gravity was 1.06. After 5 days there is no fermintation activity. Is it possible the alchol % got to high for this yeast? If the yeast died of to high of alcohol% does it hurt to leave it in the primary for several more days or once the yeast is killed by to high alcohol % is the beer ruined?

PT Ray

Reaction score
Sounds to me like it's done fermenting. 1.060 O.G. is fine, just ride it out in the primary for another week or so.

Edcculus

Reaction score
No, all ale yeasts can go to roughly 10% or higher. You are out of the active or "high krausen" phase of fermentation. You will probably notice the foam on the top will drop, or has dropped. The yeast will continue to do work, albiet much slower now. Most of what they will be doing is cleaning up byproducts of fermentation and maybe fermenting a few more points.

OP
S

sundown1

Reaction score
Does it need to stay in the primary for another week? Can I keg, refridgerate it and carbonate?. If it is still green will it still age after this step with time?

SoonerDoc

Reaction score
If you refrigerate it green, it'll pretty much be stuck green. At least that's my understanding.

david_42

Reaction score
It needs to stay in the fermenter until it is clear or at least three weeks, four would be better.