Alcohol tolerance for bread yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kdog22

Reaction score
Regular bread yeast from the grocery store. Also referenced in the JAOM recipe in the mead section of this forum. Just curious since i've used this alot when I first started out. Does anyone know what it might be?

I've found that a couple of my reliably delicious recipes have turned out very different since changing to different wine yeasts. Something I didn't really consider when figuring out sugar levels to make sweet vs. dry wines and higher ABV wines..

Thanks! :mug:

Last JAOM with bread yeast I did it hit about 12% ABV. Had a starting gravity of about 1.126 and ended at 1.036.

Fleischmann's bread yeast specifically has been known to reach 13-14% when treated properly. Mutated strains of this yeast are used today in the brewing industry.

My apologies, I should have been more specific. I was speaking on cheap-cake yeast I've used to make Kvass with.

Aaron

Bread yeast???

Isn't that for making bread?

Wine yeast is for making wine.

I wouldn't think of putting lighter fluid in my cars brakes instead of brake fluid...its just wrong.

Bread yeast???

Isn't that for making bread?

Wine yeast is for making wine.

I wouldn't think of putting lighter fluid in my cars brakes instead of brake fluid...its just wrong.

I used to make some great tasting wines from fruit concentrate with bread yeast. Believe it or not, it can produce very drinkable wines. Now I don't use bread yeast anymore but figuring out the alcohol tolerance of it will help me tweak certain recipes that I havn't yet tried with regular wine yeasts.

Thanks for everyone's replies :D

I used to make some great tasting wines from fruit concentrate with bread yeast. Believe it or not, it can produce very drinkable wines. Now I don't use bread yeast anymore but figuring out the alcohol tolerance of it will help me tweak certain recipes that I havn't yet tried with regular wine yeasts.

Thanks for everyone's replies :D

Yea, when you are under age, everything that has alcohol in it tastes good!

Yea, when you are under age, everything that has alcohol in it tastes good!

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

Hey hey give bakers yeast it's due. The only time bakers yeast make really bad wines is when it is improperly cared for with a lack of nutrients or is not allowed to clear properly in the wine/mead. Bakers yeast has a terrible flocculation rate so it suspends in the wine for many many months and tastes terrible. But if you give plenty of nutrients and allow it to fully clear most bakers yeast are a clean fermenting yeast.

Do I mean to use bakers yeast over any wine yeast. He'll no! But in a pinch with proper care a great wine can be made with bakers yeast. I have had a great cyser and JAOM with bakers yeast to date.

So rock on Kdog22. Hope you got what you are looking for.

I know this is a wine thread. But if you ever feel adventurous, make a batch of Kvass beer. Quite literally, you're drinking bread. Delicious, nutritious, and with alcohol fruitious

I was using Hogdsons Mills bakers yeast (22.07 USD for a case of 48 packets at 8.75 grams each on Amazon) and I was regularly getting ABV 12-14%. I recently did a couple of buckets with Fleischman's rapid rise bakers yeast. My yield dropped to around 5% and it tasted a little rough. I ordered some more Hogdson's Mills, it will be here Tuesday.
Not all Bakers Yeasts are created equal.
Cheers!

Hello guys,I am new to brewing wines and beer. I ordered lalwin yeast,but due to some reason the order has been cancelled. I have Baker's yeast and I have prepared around 750ml of nutrient for my Baker's yeast. It contains Black raisins and lemon grass in nutrients. 100gm black raisins and around 15 leaves of lemon grass. I want to know,what will be the output? (I know,I will get the output after performing my wine/Mead ritual,but I want some insights)
Thank you.
Love From India

Yeah , the real problem with bread yeast is not a lack of tolerance for alcohol but a) it does not clear well because it has not been "selected" to flocculate and drop out of solution in the way that lab cultured wine yeasts have been bred, and b) bread yeast has not been cultured to enhance fruit flavors or color or mouthfeel or mask other flavors that are dis-preferred by wine makers. If neither issue is important to you for a batch you want to make (think indigenous yeasts which would likely exhibit similar qualities) or you live in a society that views wine making/drinking as an offense, then no problem.

Yeah , the real problem with bread yeast is not a lack of tolerance for alcohol but a) it does not clear well because it has not been "selected" to flocculate and drop out of solution in the way that lab cultured wine yeasts have been bred

Believe it or not, Fleischmann's bread yeast is rated as "high" flocculation. Ever make a JAOM? They clear wonderfully without any help.

So this is what I saw today, I added my 750ml nutrients with 15gm of Baker's yeast for 20lt Mead and added 1.2kg of Honey(company-dabur).
I waited for like 3hours ,but not a single bubble in airlock..
OG-1.06
I am expecting that I will brew around 6%ABV from 20lt.
I am thinking not to rack it after 3 weeks.
Will it affect the taste?

1) any yeast will produce good results if you are using a recipe that takes into account its quirks and needs.

yes you can make beer and wine out of bread yeast.
yes you can make bread out of beer or wine yeast.

just not the same as you are expecting. todays yeasts are specialized for the job they do (rise fast, no flavour for bread yeast or ferment slowly and give interesting flavours for beer and wines)

2) mead doesn't foam up and bubble a lot and may take a couple of days to show obvious signs. the bubbles in my current batch didn't even rise half an inch. look for tiny bubbles rising up the (in)sides of the fermenter( if it is glass and you can see through it)

3) even my most vigorous beers don't bubble after just three hours!!
be patient, give the little creatures time to grow enough to make noticeable bubbles. usually they wait until I am at work the next day to try and overflow

3) RELAX... people have been making mead for thousands of years. rack after about a month or two if you get busy. but don't leave on the lees longer.

1) any yeast will produce good results if you are using a recipe that takes into account its quirks and needs.

yes you can make beer and wine out of bread yeast.
yes you can make bread out of beer or wine yeast.

just not the same as you are expecting. todays yeasts are specialized for the job they do (rise fast, no flavour for bread yeast or ferment slowly and give interesting flavours for beer and wines)

2) mead doesn't foam up and bubble a lot and may take a couple of days to show obvious signs. the bubbles in my current batch didn't even rise half an inch. look for tiny bubbles rising up the (in)sides of the fermenter( if it is glass and you can see through it)

3) even my most vigorous beers don't bubble after just three hours!!
be patient, give the little creatures time to grow enough to make noticeable bubbles. usually they wait until I am at work the next day to try and overflow

3) RELAX... people have been making mead for thousands of years. rack after about a month or two if you get busy. but don't leave on the lees longer.

Thank you

Guess what! CO2 has been releasing so fast now.. it's bubbling like hell,oooo my goodness...
OG=1.06
FG=1.01
ABV=(1.06-1.01)*131.25 = 6.56%
Is it great to start with such percentile of alcohol in very first setting,that too with Baker's yeast?

Very much like a strong beer. If you raise the Og on your next batch you can make stronger alcohol. the level of ABV depends on what you want
And your Fg will most probably go below 1.000

I've heard a lot of people say they have used Fleischmann's with good results and I have thought about using it many times in wine due to it's low cost, but I have also heard it tends to cloud so am I wrong to say it would not be good for white wine, or maybe better for red wine?

Very much like a strong beer. If you raise the Og on your next batch you can make stronger alcohol. the level of ABV depends on what you want
And your Fg will most probably go below 1.000

Ok! So what was the reason that instead of making Mead,I ended up making a beer.
I added all ingredients like honey,yeast,nutrients. Where did I went wrong?

I've heard a lot of people say they have used Fleischmann's with good results and I have thought about using it many times in wine due to it's low cost, but I have also heard it tends to cloud so am I wrong to say it would not be good for white wine, or maybe better for red wine?
we've had pretty good lick with it here. It's my stepsons go to and his meads clear most of the time just sitting, the ones that don't he throws in the fridge and cold crashes.

Fellas..
Eureka...
I ended up making my "TheMead" with Sparkling Mead..
This happened because of low honey amount. So I need a help,I am gonna rack it in 4-5 days,because I have a thick layer of sediments in my carboy,so during racking can I add more honey and put an airlock lagtee it? Should I do it or not?

Attachments

• IMG_20190419_114742.jpg
    IMG_20190419_114742.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 230
Fellas..
Eureka...
I ended up making my "TheMead" with Sparkling Mead..
This happened because of low honey amount. So I need a help,I am gonna rack it in 4-5 days,because I have a thick layer of sediments in my carboy,so during racking can I add more honey and put an airlock lagtee it? Should I do it or not?
Hey bro I am from India as well.
I just wanted to know which yeast did you use for brewing ?

Back