Alcohol/Eggnog in HDPE Milk Jugs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
Hey there. Making some homemade eggnog for the holidays. I'm wondering if this can be decanted into standard grocery store HDPE milk jugs (gallon, half gallon, etc). I seem to vaguely recall a recipe for spontaneous cider fermentation that used a regular gallon milk jug. Ghetto, I know, but I think that demonstrates HDPE can stand up to moderate alcohol exposure over a relatively short time period (< 30 days)?

You'll be fine. Fermenting buckets are HDPE, no problem. According to this chemical compatibility page (http://www.calpaclab.com/Nalgene-Chemical-Compatibility-Chart-A-H-s/811.htm) HDPE is fine for 40% alcohol at 50 degrees C.

You doing raw eggnog? I've made that once or twice, so much better than the crap you buy at the grocery store. Make sure to use freshly grated nutmeg :mug:

I love homemade egg nog. As a matter of fact I have a batch of it in the fridge in a milk jug right now. Every year I use Alton Brown's recipe and triple the batch to use a dozen eggs. Always goes over well and it's so much better than the stuff in the carton at the store.

At times I make batches of premix for White Russians in milk jugs (premix the vodka and Kahlua). Don't have any strange appendages growing, yet... :)

I love homemade egg nog. As a matter of fact I have a batch of it in the fridge in a milk jug right now. Every year I use Alton Brown's recipe and triple the batch to use a dozen eggs. Always goes over well and it's so much better than the stuff in the carton at the store.

Yeah his recipe is the one I use! It's so good. It's crazy how such a heavy drink gets such a light mouthfeel from the folded in egg whites. And the bourbon I suppose :cross:

Back