Alcohol Content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rbohn

Reaction score
I'm new to home brewing. To create a higher alcoholic content should I just add sugar? Will too much sugar break the bottle or produce too much carbonation?

If you are serious about it, don't go for high alcoholic hooch on your first try. Go for taste. Buy a kit and follow the directions as best you can. You'll thank me later.

Hooch thread!!!!

Yes more sugar=more alcohol, and nasty taste sometimes, longer fermentation times. etc etc etc.

Welcome to HBT!
Why do you want to create higher alcohol? We're kind of about making good tasting beverages, not about seeing how much alcohol we can squeeze into a bottle.

Sugar will create more alcohol but it won't taste that good. You get thin, cidery beer when you just add sugar. You can make a well balance, high alcohol beer with more malt extract. You will need to adjust your hops to balance out the higher malt.

You won't effect your bottle or your carbonation if you ferment the sugars out before you bottle.

Just two coffee mugs in 5 gallons of IPA does little to the ABV, but produces a slight but noticeable twang. It just ain't worth it.

How do I know this? er.....:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back