alcohol content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

playa4life147

Reaction score
my ag was 1.060 and has been ferminting for 5 days noys and i took a reading and it was around 1.030. why is it so low? will it get better. its an american ipa from homebrewers outpost.

So low or so high? 1.030 is a fine gravity 5 days in. I would give it at least another week, check it again, and make sure it's the same reading 3 days in a row before bottling.

Think of gravity as a measure of unfermented sugar.

As this sugar turns to alcohol your gravity will get lower.

I did same exact thing two days ago I had same question too Like everybody said its a sugar thing dont rush it and dont panic Your still making beer I THINK to get alcohol level there some math involved Sit back and wait it out When it come to all the "science" part im clueless BUT You will be drinking a home brew before its over with :)

At 1.030 it is not low. You are only half way there. Wait at least a week and take readings 3 days in a row. If you have the same number your fermentation is finished. Then leave it alone for another week or two to allow the yeast to clean up. You should end up with a gravity between 1.015 and 1.005. If you are doing an extract kit, they sometimes finish around 1.020.

Give your yeast the time they need and you will have a very good beer.

Google ABV calculators and you will find a couple of sites to calculate the alcohol content of your beer.

:mug:

Yup, 5 days and it appears to be about half way done. Give it time, don't rush it. 2-3 weeks is usually the MINIMUM, especially with a higher ABV brew like an IPA.

It's not too complicated by hand either.

Just take the difference between OG and FG - in gravity points - and multiply by 0.131

for gravity points you just use the last digits of your reading (1.060 = 60)

Back