Alcohol content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tooaud2

Reaction score
I just brewed my first batch and bottled it! Trying to wait before tasting:(
I used a Cooper kit and I read something in there about how to increase the alcohol content. I like my beer to have about 6% alcohol. I quite understand how to increase the alcohol content especially when the sugar is pre measured in the kit. Can anyone explain to me how I can do this with my next batch.
Thanks for all the great info on this site!

Audrey

Add more DME. If the recipe has 6# then just add an extra pound or 2 to boost the ABV. however if its a kit, you will throw the hop balance out of proportion.

yup, more sugars = higher abv. Remember, as Arneba mentioned, the recipe was desinged to suit a style or taste, not just to generate an abv.

i would make the beer to the kit recipe.

once you get away from kits, you can design your beers around alcohol content all you want. However at that point, you won't care about alcohol but instead simply great beer.

If you don't mind fewer bottles, just add less water and you'll get higher alcohol. Hops will stay in balance.

I added DME to boost alcohol in one of my beers. To me, it altered the flavor enough without adding all that much alcohol. In other words, I regretted doing it. IMO, don't mess with the recipe too much. You can always drink one more beer to make up for it.

I just use software to make sure a recipe will be at least as balanced as I want it when making changes. Of course, this is easier when you're brewing all grain. With extracts, more people figure to just add a pound more and not worry about the other elements. With all grain, I'll add more grain, mash at a slightly lower temp (maybe) and make sure the hops keep the IBU's in line with what I want. Of course, you can always boil longer (for all grain/partial mash) or top off with less water when going into the fermenter. I would just plug the recipe into software to make sure it's still what you want (with the same ingredients, but less volume)...

Back