alcohol abuse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wreptile

Reaction score
I have a problem when i bottle beer and age it for 3 weeks when I open the bottle the beer instantly turns into foam and runs down the sink why is this happening and how do I stop it?

Yup. Know the volume of beer you have and figure out how much priming sugar to use

Two things. You're either priming it with to much or your not letting it hit its fg and your bottling to soon. IMHO I test at day ten and 14 then cold crash for 3 days then bottle. No matter what way u go just make sureu hit fg before you bottle otherwise u can get bombs

How many batches have you made that have had this same problem?? A) Too much priming sugar, B) You have an infection.

That can also happen if you get some kind of debris in the bottle during bottling. Trub, hop residue, fruit chunks can all cause this.

Where would the infection be coming from? I thoroughly wash and sanitize everything before I use them, and the bottles I scrub and then let them air dry and before I use them I put them in the dishwashers drying phase to warm them.

I have made 6 kits and only 2 of the 6 have done this so far

Which kits were the gushers and which were not (type of beer and the order you brewed them). I ask because the "style" determines the amount of priming sugar for a couple of reasons but most kits supply fixed mount for a simplicity.

As mentioned, this is likely too much priming sugar or the beer not being fully fermented when bottled. The infection thing is possible especially if you are not using real sanitizer (many beginner kits comes with One Step...not a sanitizer).

explain your last brewing process. When do/did you take gravity readings? How big are your batches? How much priming sugar are you using?

I am not at home to tell you which kits exactly but I think one was the Dundalk kit from northern brewer

Where would the infection be coming from? I thoroughly wash and sanitize everything before I use them, and the bottles I scrub and then let them air dry and before I use them I put them in the dishwashers drying phase to warm them.

How do you sanitize the bottles? You wash, and then air dry (which isn't needed, by the way), but how do you sanitize them?

I had a batch of LME kit beer, that due to work, had to leave in the bucket for a month. When I got back, it had a white skim on the top, and a bit of an MDF smell to it. I hoped it would sort itself out in the bottles, so I primed it and bottled.....what a mistake! 2 weeks later I open one and it jettisoned almost the entire contents into the ceiling! Still had the press board taste, so I am figuring it was infected and it made it "super carbonate". Opened the rest of the bottles in the sink with a dish towel "scatter shield". Not sure if this helps, but ya, infection can make for a hairy situation.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back