Alaskan White clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethwar

Reaction score
Alaskan White is my favorite wit bier and I have been searching everywhere for a recipe with no luck. Any help out there please?

Its just a belgian Wit. But to me it tastes like it has a little more orange than a normal Wit.

The recipe is largerly based on Jamil Zainasheffs Belgian Wit recipe that is found is his amazing book Brewing Classic Styles.

5 Gallon Batch
90 Minute Boil

Grains
6.5 lbs of Belgian Pilsner Malt
6 lbs of Briess Flaked Wheat
¼ lb of Weyerman Light Munich Malt
1 lb of Flaked Oats

Hops
2 oz of German Hallertau Hops (3% AA) for 60 minutes

Yeast
Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier

Spice Additions (at 5 minutes remaining in boil)
Zest from 6 oranges (might adjust this still)
1.2 ounce of crushed Coriander

Target OG = 1.058
Target FG = 1.105
Target ABV = 5.6%
Target IBU's = 16

I would look up the blue moon clone thread and use that as a base. I believe it's 50% 2-row, 40% wheat, 10% oats. The one thing with Alaskan white is I think it has a strong fresh orange zest note. I would maybe use more fresh orange zest (no pith) at the end of the boil than the blue moon clone calls for. According to the website, here are some details.

5.3%abv.
15ibus
7srm

Based on that, you may need a touch of light crystal to give a little more golden color, but just a little bit.

It's also really fruity, so their house yeast may be an English style as opposed to using Cali ale.

I am pretty positive that the alaskan white contains bergamont, just an FYI unless my nose is fooling me.

I am pretty positive that the alaskan white contains bergamont, just an FYI unless my nose is fooling me.

Would that be bergamont the fruit, or bergamont the herb? Everything I have read elsewhere just says orange zest and coriander for flavoring?

Back