Alaskan Amber Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makomachine

Reaction score
For the life of me I cant find the post where I got this or would quote or reply to that thread. I believe i got this on HBT but cant find the link anywhere and it's not coming up in the search. Looking to see if anyone has brewed the below recipe which is supposed to be the exact recipe for Alaskan Amber Alt. Just wanting to validate results as I am planning on adding it into the cue for brewing as I really enjoyed it on my trip to Alaska this past week. Supposedly this came from Geoff Larson of Alaskan Brewing Co. at the Great Alaskan Beer & Barleywine Festival a few years back.

89% Pale Malt (2-row)*
5.5% Crystal Malt 75ºL*
5.5% Crystal Malt 105ºL*

4AAU Cascade Hops @60 min*
4AAU Saaz Hops @15 min*

Kettle finings: Whirlfloc (or Irish moss)*
Yeast: White Labs WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch*

Single infusion mash at 152ºF for 90 minutes, mash-out at 168ºF for 30 minutes, then sparge and collect runoff. Boil time is 90 minutes, Cascade hops are added 30 minutes into the boil. Kettle finings and Saaz hops are added for the final 15 minutes.*

Primary ferment at 67º-68ºF, then cold-condition at 34ºF for three weeks.

I brew this recipe every year for our anniversary b/c we spent our honeymoon in Alaska drinking Alaskan Amber.

US 2-Row Malt 12.00 lb
US Caramel 60L Malt 0.55 lb
US Caramel 80L Malt 0.55 lb
US Chocolate Malt 0.13 lb

US Cascad 2.00 oz 60 Min From End
Czech Saaz 1.00 oz 15 Min From End

White Labs WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch

I got the recipe off HBT at some point...I've never done a side by side comparison to the real thing since Alaskan Amber isn't available in TN, but its definitely a great beer...actually just tapped this year's keg and its great.

For the life of me I cant find the post where I got this or would quote or reply to that thread. I believe i got this on HBT but cant find the link anywhere and it's not coming up in the search. Looking to see if anyone has brewed the below recipe which is supposed to be the exact recipe for Alaskan Amber Alt. Just wanting to validate results as I am planning on adding it into the cue for brewing as I really enjoyed it on my trip to Alaska this past week. Supposedly this came from Geoff Larson of Alaskan Brewing Co. at the Great Alaskan Beer & Barleywine Festival a few years back.

89% Pale Malt (2-row)*
5.5% Crystal Malt 75ºL*
5.5% Crystal Malt 105ºL*

4AAU Cascade Hops @60 min*
4AAU Saaz Hops @15 min*

Kettle finings: Whirlfloc (or Irish moss)*
Yeast: White Labs WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch*

Single infusion mash at 152ºF for 90 minutes, mash-out at 168ºF for 30 minutes, then sparge and collect runoff. Boil time is 90 minutes, Cascade hops are added 30 minutes into the boil. Kettle finings and Saaz hops are added for the final 15 minutes.*

Primary ferment at 67º-68ºF, then cold-condition at 34ºF for three weeks.
I know this is a very old post but I've never seen crystal 105L. Is that a typo?

Back